At this moment in time, director José Padilha seems to be the best reason to invest your hope in the Robocop remake. He’s a smart guy, ambitious and has made some decent movies already.
Sad then, that he’s apparently struggling so hard with Robocop, and that the experience is leaving him “bitter.”
This is according to City of God director Fernando Mereilles, a friend and colleague of Padilha’s. He was giving an interview to promote his current movie, 360, to the Brazillian press and somehow ended up on the subject of Padilha in Hollywood.
You can read the original Portuguese at Cinema Com Rapardura, but here are the translated bullet points:
9 out of 10 of Padilha’s ideas are being rejected.
He’s fighting, and it’s making him bitter.
The experience is described as “hell.”
But Mereilles believes the film will still be good.
The film was looking for a good while like a real honey trap for great actors, and appealing name after appealing name was being linked to the project. Just int he last couple of days, though, Hugh Laurie has been revealed to have passed on the film before finally inking his contract.
This leave Padilha and co. needing to find a villain once again. I’m imagining all sorts of disuptes about this now, in view of Mereille’s comments.
Deadline sugest Clive Owen may be the replacement, but there are more actors on the studio’s list.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014