But it seems that weeks previously, Judd Winick also walked off his final DC comic, Batwing. After he’d already walked off Catwoman. And had recently declined to write Green Arrow monthly when offered. Like Liefeld he walked off three books. But because it was incremental and he didn’t leave in a hail of tweets, no one noticed.
A cartoonist who went on MTV’s Real World he saw extended publication afterwards, graphic novels like Pedro And Me, comics like Barry Ween, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Outsiders, Exiles, Blood & Water, Shazam and Batman.
Since the New 52, he has been writing Batwing and Catwoman, the latter bringing him acres of publicity. But it seems that editorial interference in a manner to that which Rob Liefeld describes, saw him decide to step back. Just not in a way that might prevent him working for the company in the future.
Winick declined to comment when approached. Batwing #14 has been solicited with his name on it, but I do not know if that will actually make it through to publication.
UPDATE: As I was preparing this, at shortly after Judd had declined comment, it seems that he chatted to Newsarama telling them;
“It’s with a heavy heart that I announce that I’ll be leaving the DC monthly Batwing. I’ve had a terrific time on the title and have loved crafting this adventure with some phenomenal people. Artists Ben Oliver, Marcus To, and Brain Reber have made these stories come to life. I will miss telling the tales of David Zavimbe, the Batman of Africa in many ways, but I’m proud of the work we’ve done. My departure is simply a time issue. I’m pursing a few other projects that make it impossible for me continue doing a monthly book.”
Newsarama mention Catwoman but not Green Arrow. DC sources seem to indicate it may have been something more than just time.
- The Small Town Barbeque Vampires Of “Redneck” By Donny Cates, Lisandro Estherren And Dee Cunniffe From Image/Skybound In April - January 23, 2017
- Topps To Publish A Trump-Based Garbage Pail Kids Comic – Donald Dump! - January 23, 2017
- What Will Happen To Task Force X After Justice League Vs Suicide Squad? Just Ask Grant Morrison (SPOILERS) - January 23, 2017
- Speculator Corner: Star Wars #49 – The Last Jedi – From Marvel Comics - January 23, 2017
- Scott Lobdell Writes Aspen’s Crossover Series, No World, Debuting In April 2017 - January 23, 2017