But it seems that weeks previously, Judd Winick also walked off his final DC comic, Batwing. After he’d already walked off Catwoman. And had recently declined to write Green Arrow monthly when offered. Like Liefeld he walked off three books. But because it was incremental and he didn’t leave in a hail of tweets, no one noticed.
A cartoonist who went on MTV’s Real World he saw extended publication afterwards, graphic novels like Pedro And Me, comics like Barry Ween, Green Lantern, Green Arrow, Outsiders, Exiles, Blood & Water, Shazam and Batman.
Since the New 52, he has been writing Batwing and Catwoman, the latter bringing him acres of publicity. But it seems that editorial interference in a manner to that which Rob Liefeld describes, saw him decide to step back. Just not in a way that might prevent him working for the company in the future.
Winick declined to comment when approached. Batwing #14 has been solicited with his name on it, but I do not know if that will actually make it through to publication.
UPDATE: As I was preparing this, at shortly after Judd had declined comment, it seems that he chatted to Newsarama telling them;
“It’s with a heavy heart that I announce that I’ll be leaving the DC monthly Batwing. I’ve had a terrific time on the title and have loved crafting this adventure with some phenomenal people. Artists Ben Oliver, Marcus To, and Brain Reber have made these stories come to life. I will miss telling the tales of David Zavimbe, the Batman of Africa in many ways, but I’m proud of the work we’ve done. My departure is simply a time issue. I’m pursing a few other projects that make it impossible for me continue doing a monthly book.”
Newsarama mention Catwoman but not Green Arrow. DC sources seem to indicate it may have been something more than just time.
- Marvel Comics Vs. Monster Energy Trial Delayed a Month, Will Stretch into 2019 - December 17, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List -17th December 2017 – Mister Miracle Beats Out Batman - December 17, 2017
- Steven T. Seagle Wants 19 International Artists to Get Naked - December 17, 2017
- Lying in the Gutters, December 17th, 2017 – So This Star Wars Film Came Out… - December 17, 2017
- Top 100 Most-Ordered Comics and Graphic Novels of November 2017 - December 17, 2017