A couple of months ago we knew that Ed Brubaker was leaving Captain America, and now he’s leaving Winter Soldier, being replaced by Jason Latour. And what will he be working on at Marvel instead? Nothing. He tweeted;
To end all speculation: Cap 19 and Winter Soldier 14 are my last Marvel books for now. But I may return, because Marvel has been my home.
CBR interviewed the man. There are two key bits to note, that could do with a bit of interpretation.
Well, originally, the book was going to end around #14 or #15, because sales weren’t as good as we’d hoped they’d be,” the writer explained. “I’d been planning for that end for about three or four months. Then I guess sales stabilized, and the Cap movie [sequel] was announced, and everyone really likes the book and likes the character, so they want to keep it going. But in the meantime, I’d taken on outside comic work that was making my schedule harder and harder to keep up with, and so when Tom [Brevoort] told me they were keeping it going instead, I just felt like I needed to let it go.
I hear that Ed Brubaker has lined up some TV work. Expect some announcements about that in the semi-near future. Then there’s his Criminal: Coward screenplay which looks like it’s going into production. But that’s not the only story as to why he’s leaving.
I struggled with it, and Tom and I discussed several possibilities of me staying, some of which I can’t really discuss openly, because they concern internal workings of the company.
That’s not very hidden code for problems at the company, falling out, trying to find ways to keep everyone on board, and failing. As he says, he may return to Marvel. Just not any time soon.
If only Ed Brubaker would tweet about it properly like Rob Liefeld…
- Yes, Avengers #675 Starts A Weekly Avengers Title With A Lot Of Creators - September 26, 2017
- Ed Piskor’s Next Comic Is A Shoe Box Story Of How Baltimore Saved The Nike AF-1 - September 26, 2017
- Ask For Mercy: A New Comic From Richard Starkings And Abz-J-Harding - September 26, 2017
- Fifteen Big Spoilers For Tomorrow’s Marvel Legacy #1 – In Order Of Spoileriness - September 26, 2017
- What Titan Comics’ Doctor Might Look Like In 2018 - September 26, 2017