A couple of months ago we knew that Ed Brubaker was leaving Captain America, and now he’s leaving Winter Soldier, being replaced by Jason Latour. And what will he be working on at Marvel instead? Nothing. He tweeted;
To end all speculation: Cap 19 and Winter Soldier 14 are my last Marvel books for now. But I may return, because Marvel has been my home.
CBR interviewed the man. There are two key bits to note, that could do with a bit of interpretation.
Well, originally, the book was going to end around #14 or #15, because sales weren’t as good as we’d hoped they’d be,” the writer explained. “I’d been planning for that end for about three or four months. Then I guess sales stabilized, and the Cap movie [sequel] was announced, and everyone really likes the book and likes the character, so they want to keep it going. But in the meantime, I’d taken on outside comic work that was making my schedule harder and harder to keep up with, and so when Tom [Brevoort] told me they were keeping it going instead, I just felt like I needed to let it go.
I hear that Ed Brubaker has lined up some TV work. Expect some announcements about that in the semi-near future. Then there’s his Criminal: Coward screenplay which looks like it’s going into production. But that’s not the only story as to why he’s leaving.
I struggled with it, and Tom and I discussed several possibilities of me staying, some of which I can’t really discuss openly, because they concern internal workings of the company.
That’s not very hidden code for problems at the company, falling out, trying to find ways to keep everyone on board, and failing. As he says, he may return to Marvel. Just not any time soon.
If only Ed Brubaker would tweet about it properly like Rob Liefeld…
- Dennis Barger Suffers Mild Heart Attack; Well Wishes from All at Bleeding Cool - December 17, 2017
- The Comic Shop that Helped Inspire a Book Store - December 17, 2017
- Marvel Comics Vs. Monster Energy Trial Delayed a Month, Will Stretch into 2019 - December 17, 2017
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List -17th December 2017 – Mister Miracle Beats Out Batman - December 17, 2017
- Steven T. Seagle Wants 19 International Artists to Get Naked - December 17, 2017