I first heard the whiffs of this rumour a few weeks ago, that the new writer of Action Comics to replace Grant Morrison was another Brit with a 2000AD past, but seemingly from pub conversations recalling half-heard conversations and nothing I could actually stand up. Then Andy Diggle tweeted the following;
So I just landed the biggest job of my career.
And suddenly I started hearing Andy’s name associated with the comic. Other names were thrown into the mix, some which sounded more likely than a writer who had shown disdain for writing superheroes in the past. But this weekend they all seemed to go away, leaving Andy Diggle the only game in town.
Diggle is best known for editing 2000AD, when he first wrote Lenny Zero and teamed up with Jock on art. They would later create The Losers together, and now Jock is on Detective Comics with John Layman. It would seem fitting for both the Action Comics and Detective Comics titles to both be created by members of such a team.
Diggle has been a little less high profile since his Daredevil run came to an end, but he’s had his Six Guns series for Marvel, his serialised Snapshot book with Jock in Judge Dredd Megazine and he’s writing Doctor Who for IDW. But this creative move, if true, would rapidly elevate him to the A-list.
A New York Comic Con announcement, as with the other DC January changes we’ve been talking about, seems likely.
DC Comics declined to reply to enquiries.
- Marvel Battle Lines Variant Cover Credit Switcheroo - August 17, 2018
- More DC Comics Variant Covers for September 2018 from Francesco Mattina, Kaare Andrews, Mark Brooks and More - August 17, 2018
- Ann Nocenti and David Aja’s Seeds #1 is an eBay Smash – in the UK - August 17, 2018
- Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe Creative Team Reunite For The Witch Hammer - August 17, 2018
- More ESPN Marvel Comics College Football Covers For 2018 - August 17, 2018