I’m probably as guilty as many over seeing a black man cosplaying as Captain America and thinking “oh, a black Captain America” rather than just “oh, Captain America”. From a Chinese Elvis to a male Slave Princess Leia, I notice the differences in terms of demographic between the person and the person portraying them.
I think there’s a difference between that, though, and people who seem to believe that someone of a different ethnicity shouldn’t portray a character in cosplay. Such as the following Doctor Strange shot posted on Facebook by Marvel, as part of a range of cosplay shots taken at conventions to promote Avengers Vs X-Men;
And the comments that followed;
PFF it is white doctor strange not black get a little logical
you know whats really strange? an afroamerican making a dr stangre cosplay
Dr. Strange negro… é pai de santo?
when did Dr.Strange become black?
Doctor strange isnt black
Yea umm to bad hes white this craps geting old u never see dc comics doing crap like this wtf marvel?..oops I forgot Disney that’s why ooooooo.
jericho drumm isnt sorcerer supreme anymore :P
lol stephen strange is totally not black just sayin…
Don’t tell me dr.strange is now dr.dre
Sigh. Here’s the rest of the cosplay so far;
- A Look Behind The Walls Of The LEGO Booth At New York Toy Fair 2017 - February 21, 2017
- The Orbital Comics 2000AD Gallery For The 40th Anniversary – Beyond The Comic - February 21, 2017
- Cover Story: Jae Lee Takes On Jim Henson’s Power Of The Dark Crystal For FOC… - February 20, 2017
- Frankensteining Marvel Comics Solicits For May 2017 – Secret Empire, Warriors, Guardians, Zombies, Black Bolt And Star Wars - February 20, 2017
- Free On Bleeding Cool For President’s Day: Fissure #1 By Tim Daniel And Patricio Delpeche From Vault - February 20, 2017