Several directors tried to adapt Yann Martel’s Life of Pi into a film before Ang Lee finally managed the task, and I can’t say that I was too enthusiastic about him picking up the reigns when I first read and wrote about it.
Nonetheless, early word says that he’s made a film of great spectacle, wonder and awe – and those are just the qualities being sold in this first full trailer. There’s some remarkable FX work here, that’s for sure.
It seems that this film will provide 3D film with its next round of loud buzz, much like Hugo did last year, much like Avatar did previously, just how I expect Alfonso Cuaron’s Gravity will when that comes along. In this case, it’s probably because there’s a lot of big animals coming close to the camera, combined with all those huge longshots in the middle of the ocean. That’d do it, for many folk.
Anyhow, there’s a lot more to Life of Pi than the grandeur, but this trailer seems to suggest we’re at least off on a fairly strong foot on that one count. I certainly want to see more.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014