Bleeding Cool has reported about the attempts of the comic industry to encourage existing comic shop owners to open up new comic shops.
But what if you could open up an entirely different kind of comic shop?
Escape Pod Comics is planned to open in New York, and using Kickstarter to fund its first year of operation. Rather than taking on the likes of Midtown Comics of Jim Hanley’s Universe, it seems more concerned with the likes of the NYU. And opening on Main Street in Huntington Village, Long Island.
Here’s the proposed schedule of classes, both life drawing, comic creation and comic history, to run alongside comic book and graphic novel sales. And its that aspect that the Kickstarter is funding, the comic sales will provide the running costs for the shop and profits will go back into the store. Escape Pod will also only sell comics, no toys, no cards, no props or statues just… comics, for everyone, with installed iPads for easy browsing. Digital comics in print form. Gallery exhibitions of comic artwork. And a large drawing area for kids, big and small.
The Kickstarter is offerering signed comics, prints and artwork in return for donations, which will also grant the donor membership of the store and discount on comics and classes. Oh, and the Escape Pod Pin…
- Dark Horse Presents, Cancelled One More Time… - May 29, 2017
- The Writer Who Wouldn’t Talk To His Colourist – Christina Strain Talks About Failure - May 29, 2017
- Secret Empire Plot Affects Marvel Comics’ Memorial Day Tribute - May 29, 2017
- Arya, A New Comic From Sofia Savila And Minjun Chen, Out This August - May 29, 2017
- What Happens In Batman #24 That Will Change Batman From #25 Onward? - May 29, 2017