Bleeding Cool has reported about the attempts of the comic industry to encourage existing comic shop owners to open up new comic shops.
But what if you could open up an entirely different kind of comic shop?
Escape Pod Comics is planned to open in New York, and using Kickstarter to fund its first year of operation. Rather than taking on the likes of Midtown Comics of Jim Hanley’s Universe, it seems more concerned with the likes of the NYU. And opening on Main Street in Huntington Village, Long Island.
Here’s the proposed schedule of classes, both life drawing, comic creation and comic history, to run alongside comic book and graphic novel sales. And its that aspect that the Kickstarter is funding, the comic sales will provide the running costs for the shop and profits will go back into the store. Escape Pod will also only sell comics, no toys, no cards, no props or statues just… comics, for everyone, with installed iPads for easy browsing. Digital comics in print form. Gallery exhibitions of comic artwork. And a large drawing area for kids, big and small.
The Kickstarter is offerering signed comics, prints and artwork in return for donations, which will also grant the donor membership of the store and discount on comics and classes. Oh, and the Escape Pod Pin…
- A New Wolverine Comic From Marvel in April 2018… - January 19, 2018
- Martin Rowson to Adapt Karl Marx’s Communist Manifesto as a Graphic Novel, and More from SelfMadeHero in 2018 - January 19, 2018
- All 3 Marvel Comics Nominated for GLAAD Awards Have Been Cancelled - January 19, 2018
- Marvel Comics Signs Kelly Thompson as an Exclusive Creator - January 19, 2018
- Nancy Silberkleit Now Distributing Her Own Archie Comic, Featuring Scarlet, One Copy at a Time - January 19, 2018