Maintaining the rather frequent studio pattern of releasing a poster one day and a trailer the next, here’s the first theatrical promo for Paul Thomas Anderson‘s next, The Master.
So it wasn’t quite nailed down to a Wes Anderson level of anal retentiveness but this trailer certainly showcased a lot of very geometric images. Look at the first shot… or the second… the third…
And then there’s the kids in the photo, the rack focus onto Amy Adams, the crowded elevator. This is one heavily styled work, and that’s before we even discuss the costumes or production design.
Anderson certainly has a way of signing his films right across the middle of the frame.
I do wish I could forget about the camera, though, and look at what it is showing me, not be distracted by the way it is doing so. A good camera angle inflects the image, sure, but when noticing the inflections reveal the artifice, it can all start to crumble.
The above trailer flashed up on Yahoo for a while, but vanished again. It’s set to return there at 8pm, after the trailer has played on Entertainment Tonight.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014