Jonathan Ross is a British tv celebrity and comic book creator — most recently working with Bryan Hitch on America’s Got Powers. Of course, we’ve known Jonathan Ross was a big comic fan for quite awhile. Rich recently put together a little primer on Ross for Americans who don’t know much about him.
But he’s also a collector of original comic book art. Asking price on this completely gorgeous cover of Nick Fury: Agent of Shield #3 by Jim Steranko from 1968 was $100,000, at original art dealer Mike “Romitaman” Burkey’s booth at SDCC. I’ve heard that Ross traded some other highly desirable original art for it instead.
Steranko in his prime, a stunning and memorable cover from Marvel’s late Silver Age burst of new titles (which included Iron Man, Captain America, and Silver Surfer also getting their own titles, among others)… that’s a fine piece of original comic art.
(Ross shown here with Vanguard Production‘s J. David Spurlock, who knows a thing or two about both Steranko and classic comic art in general, and puts together excellent collections of such.)
- CGC Insider #12 – Ink Transfer and Color Rub - January 4, 2018
- 2017 Collectibles Countdown #2: Funko Hunting - December 31, 2017
- 2017 Toys Countdown #3: The Toys That Made Us Is Already My Favorite Netflix Series - December 31, 2017
- 2017 Collectibles Countdown #5: Kingdom Hearts Funko Box - December 31, 2017
- 2017 Games Countdown #3: Killing Jason in the Friday The 13th Game - December 30, 2017