Jonathan Ross is a British tv celebrity and comic book creator — most recently working with Bryan Hitch on America’s Got Powers. Of course, we’ve known Jonathan Ross was a big comic fan for quite awhile. Rich recently put together a little primer on Ross for Americans who don’t know much about him.
But he’s also a collector of original comic book art. Asking price on this completely gorgeous cover of Nick Fury: Agent of Shield #3 by Jim Steranko from 1968 was $100,000, at original art dealer Mike “Romitaman” Burkey’s booth at SDCC. I’ve heard that Ross traded some other highly desirable original art for it instead.
Steranko in his prime, a stunning and memorable cover from Marvel’s late Silver Age burst of new titles (which included Iron Man, Captain America, and Silver Surfer also getting their own titles, among others)… that’s a fine piece of original comic art.
(Ross shown here with Vanguard Production‘s J. David Spurlock, who knows a thing or two about both Steranko and classic comic art in general, and puts together excellent collections of such.)
- Starting Today: CGC Insider – Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Comic Book Grading, And More - January 19, 2017
- The Rock Talks #BlackAdam And The Entire DCU: “Hope, Optimism & FUN… Prepare Yourselves DC Universe” - January 11, 2017
- Alien: Covenant Short Teaser Starts Unwrapping Your Christmas Present A Day Early - December 24, 2016
- Milwaukee Bucks Owner Marc Lasry Sells Wonder Woman #1 CGC 9.0 ‘Solicitation Copy’ For Record $291,100 - December 14, 2016
- Transformers: The Last Knight Poster – What… Has Happened To Bumblebee? - December 13, 2016