Jonathan Ross is a British tv celebrity and comic book creator — most recently working with Bryan Hitch on America’s Got Powers. Of course, we’ve known Jonathan Ross was a big comic fan for quite awhile. Rich recently put together a little primer on Ross for Americans who don’t know much about him.
But he’s also a collector of original comic book art. Asking price on this completely gorgeous cover of Nick Fury: Agent of Shield #3 by Jim Steranko from 1968 was $100,000, at original art dealer Mike “Romitaman” Burkey’s booth at SDCC. I’ve heard that Ross traded some other highly desirable original art for it instead.
Steranko in his prime, a stunning and memorable cover from Marvel’s late Silver Age burst of new titles (which included Iron Man, Captain America, and Silver Surfer also getting their own titles, among others)… that’s a fine piece of original comic art.
(Ross shown here with Vanguard Production‘s J. David Spurlock, who knows a thing or two about both Steranko and classic comic art in general, and puts together excellent collections of such.)
- What Does Epcot Announcement Mean For Guardians Of The Galaxy 4 And Beyond? - July 15, 2017
- Roswell, The Beginnings Of The UFO Craze And What It Has To Do With DC Comics - July 8, 2017
- Image Comics, Howard Chaykin Issue Apology, Pull Cover For Divided States Of Hysteria #4 - July 1, 2017
- The Secret Origin Of Spider-Man’s “Friendly Neighborhood” - June 26, 2017
- Did Somebody Say Madam Satan? Pep Comics #16 Heats Up At Auction - June 16, 2017