Jonathan Ross is a British tv celebrity and comic book creator — most recently working with Bryan Hitch on America’s Got Powers. Of course, we’ve known Jonathan Ross was a big comic fan for quite awhile. Rich recently put together a little primer on Ross for Americans who don’t know much about him.
But he’s also a collector of original comic book art. Asking price on this completely gorgeous cover of Nick Fury: Agent of Shield #3 by Jim Steranko from 1968 was $100,000, at original art dealer Mike “Romitaman” Burkey’s booth at SDCC. I’ve heard that Ross traded some other highly desirable original art for it instead.
Steranko in his prime, a stunning and memorable cover from Marvel’s late Silver Age burst of new titles (which included Iron Man, Captain America, and Silver Surfer also getting their own titles, among others)… that’s a fine piece of original comic art.
(Ross shown here with Vanguard Production‘s J. David Spurlock, who knows a thing or two about both Steranko and classic comic art in general, and puts together excellent collections of such.)
- Superman Lives: Official Justice League Movie Site Reveals Another (‘More Official’?) Team Shot With Superman - April 23, 2017
- ‘Happy Days’, ‘Joanie Loves Chaci’ Star Erin Moran Dead At 56 - April 22, 2017
- Frank Miller’s Sin City Goes Way Back In Time: Mid-20th Century, And Several Hundred Years Before That - April 22, 2017
- Frank Miller On His Possible Upcoming Superman Project, And The Genesis Of The Batman V Superman Dynamic - April 22, 2017
- Wonder Woman’s Iconic Moment: The Pre-History Of The Character As Revealed In The Wonder Woman Film - April 21, 2017