A few years ago, Neil Gaiman was approached by DC Comics to write a new chapter in the Sandman series. He referred to it as Sandman Zero, it would tell the story of what Dream was up to, when he was captured by humans, trying to enslave Death.
However, Gaiman describes the contract offered as less than ideal, giving him similar terms as when he began the book. And, that as a successful and famous fantasy author, his added value was considerable. He proposed a solution, to increase the percentage on his other Sandman work being printed over a much longer period of time, that would make up for the loss. DC Comics declined, so Gaiman went on to write the novel The Graveyard book instead, which did very well.
Now, seemingly in the light of Before Watchmen, DC have approached Neil Gaiman again. And based on the bar talk at San Diego last night, we can presume that this time, if it is indeed the same Sandman premise and not something new, negotiations have been more successful.
And on art, is one artist who I was told had a new project, Batwoman and Promethea‘s JH Williams III.
If true, one might expect an announcement sooner rather than later. DC Vertigo are publishing the new Sandman Slipcase Set, a new collection of Gaiman’s Neil Gaiman’s Midnight Days Deluxe Edition work and there is a prominent Sandman visual at the San Diego booth this year. I’d heard some rumours about Sandman being reintroduced into the New 52 recently that were denied at the highest levels, so I didn’t report them. This one is far more widespread however, and also a tad more believable.
Especially with the rumour that Williams III had a big new DC project to announce this week…
- DC Comics April 2018 Catalog – Solicits From Action Comics #1000 to Splitting Batman In Two… - January 22, 2018
- DC Comics Cancels Trinity With #22 in April 2018 - January 22, 2018
- Will Marvel’s New Young Guns Move the Needle? - January 22, 2018
- 20 Previews of Free Comic Book Day 2018 Titles, from Barrier to Relay to 2000AD Reneged - January 22, 2018
- Frankensteining Marvel Comics Solicits for April 2018 - January 22, 2018