Last year, the San Diego news week cycle was kicked off with bootlegs of the Amazing Spider-Man teaser trailer and the Avengers teaser from Captain America: The First Avenger, setting the tone for the usual conversation that Comic Con is more about tv/film than comics in recent times.
But it feels a little different this year. Walking Dead 100 is driving the news. And of course, so is Marvel Now. Perhaps it’s perception rather than reality — and yes, there’s a big Guardians of the Galaxy announcement waiting in the wings — but it feels like the horse is back in front of the cart this year. The next few days will tell the tale. Meanwhile…
Most-Read Comic Stories Today:
Though it’s been called a soft reboot by some, Marvel NOW! is looking like a definitive change in its first month of solicits, with 9 titles ending as the Uncanny Avengers begins what the solicits call “the greatest era of the Marvel Universe”.
Last week in sixteen pictures:
At Tuesday midnight, many comic stores across the land, will be opening especially to sell The Walking Dead #100 in its many and glorious covers. San Diego Comic Con will open with the launch of The Walking Dead #100 as the entire show becomes, basically, Walking Dead Con. Previews of season three, the Walking Dead Experience, watches, toys, promotions, signings, anything and everything Walking Dead.
Most-Read TV/Film Stories Today:
According to The Hollywood Reporter, longtime US TV bit player Brian Tee will essay the role of Noboru Mori. Tee’s currently appearing in Grimm, I hear. I really wouldnt know.
This promo for the upcoming Indiana Jones collection on Blu-ray is tagged “Comic-Con trailer” so I guess it’s going to be playing at the Well of Souls-cum-snakepit that’s being set up to promote the discs down San Diego way. It may even get some screen time in a panel, though I don’t know which one. Maybe the one with Bill Hunt and all of the Blu-ray producers?
Birdemic was sincerely ridiculous, with an emphasis on the sincerity. It was naive filmmaking, and could be held up as a prime example of cinematic outsider art.
- Starting Today: CGC Insider – Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Comic Book Grading, And More - January 19, 2017
- The Rock Talks #BlackAdam And The Entire DCU: “Hope, Optimism & FUN… Prepare Yourselves DC Universe” - January 11, 2017
- Alien: Covenant Short Teaser Starts Unwrapping Your Christmas Present A Day Early - December 24, 2016
- Milwaukee Bucks Owner Marc Lasry Sells Wonder Woman #1 CGC 9.0 ‘Solicitation Copy’ For Record $291,100 - December 14, 2016
- Transformers: The Last Knight Poster – What… Has Happened To Bumblebee? - December 13, 2016