With all the fuss about Lea Hernandez’ Garlicks not hitting its Kickstarter objectives (though she will be back), here’s a look at a project that has done that, and far more, with some lesson to be learnt.
Curiosities: An Illustrated History of Ancestral Oddity is a planned comic book by husband/wife team Mike Yamada, Victoria Yin and her brother Jonathan. It has raised $17,447 of a $4,000 goal, from 330 backers with four weeks to go.
Eventually we came upon the idea of a pair of siblings exploring their family history through the weird and fascinating remnants of long-gone relatives. Pirate Queens, Wizards, Overly skilled Lion Tamers, and at least one eccentric taxidermist.
Mike works at Dreamworks, Victoria works as Disney, but neither in very prominent roles. They have certain side-projects and this will be one of them.
Neither have incredibly impressive followings, Mike having around 4000 twitter followers, but they follow some very important rules of what is merging as a Kickstarter economy, and this might be an opportunity to share them.
Showing impressive looking work.
Offering a relatively low initial funding amount, with milestones to “unlock” other aspects of the book, and to encourage “stretching” donations.
An affordable price for a print collected edition, discounted from the store price.
Not giving away the product offered in a cheaper format elsewhere.
Showing past success with previous products.
Offering exclusive product via Kickstarter.
It’s a good lesson. I think I may have to put your money where my mouth is soon…
- Teri Hatcher And Dean Cain Both Up For A Lois & Clark Reboot - May 23, 2017
- Shirtless Bear-Fighter Bears All For Nude Beariant Cover For FOC… - May 23, 2017
- Liam Sharp Bares All For Wonder Woman #23 Preview - May 23, 2017
- Will You Drink To American Gods In Dark Horse Comics Solicits For August 2017 - May 23, 2017
- All The Doctor Who Solicits For Titan Comics For August 2017, Including Four Doctors Crossover - May 23, 2017