With all the fuss about Lea Hernandez’ Garlicks not hitting its Kickstarter objectives (though she will be back), here’s a look at a project that has done that, and far more, with some lesson to be learnt.
Curiosities: An Illustrated History of Ancestral Oddity is a planned comic book by husband/wife team Mike Yamada, Victoria Yin and her brother Jonathan. It has raised $17,447 of a $4,000 goal, from 330 backers with four weeks to go.
Eventually we came upon the idea of a pair of siblings exploring their family history through the weird and fascinating remnants of long-gone relatives. Pirate Queens, Wizards, Overly skilled Lion Tamers, and at least one eccentric taxidermist.
Mike works at Dreamworks, Victoria works as Disney, but neither in very prominent roles. They have certain side-projects and this will be one of them.
Neither have incredibly impressive followings, Mike having around 4000 twitter followers, but they follow some very important rules of what is merging as a Kickstarter economy, and this might be an opportunity to share them.
Showing impressive looking work.
Offering a relatively low initial funding amount, with milestones to “unlock” other aspects of the book, and to encourage “stretching” donations.
An affordable price for a print collected edition, discounted from the store price.
Not giving away the product offered in a cheaper format elsewhere.
Showing past success with previous products.
Offering exclusive product via Kickstarter.
It’s a good lesson. I think I may have to put your money where my mouth is soon…
- Wolverine’s Creator Would Like To Buy You A Meal – For His Health - February 28, 2017
- Want To Be In Avengers: Infinity War? Here’s Your Chance – Especially If You Are Short Or Are An Amputee - February 28, 2017
- Avatar Press May 2017 Solicits – Alan Moore And Garth Ennis’ Best… - February 28, 2017
- Stirrups & Beans: Food, Comics And Bringing Back The Chisholm Kid, In Manhattan This April - February 27, 2017
- J Scott Campbell’s Exclusive Venomized Cover To Iron Fist #1 (UPDATE) - February 27, 2017