The Avatar comic Neonomicon by Alan Moore and Jacen Burrows, published by Bleeding Cool owner Avatar Press, has caused a little trouble at a local library when it was taken out by a fourteen year old girl, one Jennifer Gaske, believing it to be… something other than it was.
Neonomicon is, basically, The X-Files Meets HP Lovecraft, an FBI procedural that goes terribly, horribly wrong, with scenes of rape, murder and general vicious nastiness throughout, the nature of which has divided critics.
Channel 7 News in South Carolina reports that the book was stacked in the adult section of the Greenville County but that those over the age of thirteen can check out adult books with parents permission.
After a few chapters, though, Gaske got a shock. “It was good at first,” says Jennifer. “Then it got nasty.” Her mother says, “She came into my living room and asked me what a certain word meant and I said honey where did you hear that word? I said that’s a nasty word we don’t use that in the house.”
Inside the book, Gaske found graphic sexual content and pictures of nude men and women engaging in sexual activity. Seven on Your Side cannot show much of that content because it is so explicit. “The more into I got the more shocked I was, I really had no idea this type of material was allowed at a public library,” says Carrie Gaske. “I feel that has the same content of Hustler or Playboy or things like that,” she says. “Maybe even worse.”
The library doesn’t use ratings systems, preferring parental discretion and judgement. However, both copes stocked by the library have been pulled while the book’s nature is considered.
It’s possible that the library might like to consider this reading when doing so. Here’s the news report.
- Tomorrow’s Comics Today – A Comic Shop: Curse Words Unleashed! - January 17, 2017
- Frankensteining Marvel Comics’ Solicits For April 2017 - January 17, 2017
- As Marvel Drop “Buy Physical, Get Digital” Codes, DC Pick Them Up, As Monthly Superhero Comics Go $3.99 - January 17, 2017
- Marvel’s *Classified* Prelude Gets A Name – And It’s Secret Empire - January 17, 2017
- DC Comics Change Credits On Tomorrow’s Green Lanterns, Justice League, Raven And More - January 17, 2017