Okay, I gave it a day.
Some people complained that yesterday’s article about Alan Scott, the as yet-to be Green Lantern of Earth Two, proposing to his boyfriend, was a spoiler. I disagreed, stating that if I’d have run the following page it would be a spoiler.
That’s going to happen now. You may want to look away.
Anyway, the pair were travelling on a bullet train, whizzing in and out of a tunnel, with all the Hitchcockian sexual imagery you might care to imagine. Alan Scott proposed, holding out a ring.
Then this happened:
We may not have read the next issue, but it seems possible that Alan Scott survives and is transformed into a Green Lantern. Hence the cover of issue 3, furious and in flame. Because, presumably, his intended is dead. Blown up on a train. And giving him the motivation to… what… seek revenge. Get all flamey? Tear the world apart?
Something similar happened to the Kyle Rayner Green Lantern years ago, his girlfriend chopped up and stuffed in his fridge, leading to Gail Simone’s infamous “Women In Refridgerators” article, looking at the the over-representation in comics of women getting killed in order to inspire the male lead to get all angry and stuff, now referred to as being “fridged”. There were mentions that a similar thing happened to minority characters (thanks to Ryan Choi, now known as being “matchboxed”) and to gay characters… though the latter didn’t have a name. “Trained” doesn’t sound right. “Bullet Trained”? “Gays In Bullet Trains?” That has a certain deathly quality to it…
- Brian Wood and Jorge Coelho’s Robocop: Citizens Arrest Looks to Explore Social Justice - January 17, 2018
- Ludocrats from Kieron Gillen, David Lafuente, and Jim Rossignol is Coming Soon, Honest - January 17, 2018
- Now Glénat to Publish Conan Comics, as It’s All Public Domain in Europe - January 17, 2018
- All of DC Comics Reboots Are Still Happening, Even Elongated Man’s Identity Crisis Face (Super Sons #12 Spoilers) - January 17, 2018
- Is Avengers: No Surrender a Flipped Version of Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars? (Avengers #676 Spoilers) - January 17, 2018