Yesterday, an original message was posted on the popular content redistributor Reddit, with a link to a 2K-sized program and instructions, point by point, as to how one can take a ComiXology download that has been paid for, and turn it into a CBZ file, permanently saving it to your computer.
Many would prefer to read digital comics in a Comic Reader, outside of ComiXology’s proprietary system, as well as doing it all offline. Others also concerned that if something were to happen to ComiXology, they would no longer be able to access their comics, and this would ensure against that.
But while the post stated quite clearly;
I wrote this script because I like having backups of things that I have purchased. This is not meant to be used as a pirating tool. If you use it as a pirating tool, you can go fuck yourself; you’re why we can’t have nice things.
I think it’s inconceivable that this won’t be used as a pirating tool by some without even the most basic skills, by taking CBZ files, uploading them to torrent sites or making them available for download. Not that it was overly hard before, but this makes it easy for people who don’t even know the basics of file management.
ComiXology representatives have not yet responded to enquiries.
UPDATE: Already pulled from Reddit…. I’m sure it will pop up elsewhere…
- Dick Grayson is Now Called Ric Grayson as Fabian Nicieza Joins Scott Lobdell on Nightwing #51 - October 15, 2018
- The Full DC Comics Catalogue for January 2019 - October 15, 2018
- The Writer of Invictus Pens Graphic Novel, Mandela and the General - October 15, 2018
- Olivia Olson’s Marcy & Simon #1 Kicks Off Official Canon Continuation of Adventure Time in January - October 15, 2018
- The Future of Black Label at DC Comics – It’s All Stephen Colbert’s Fault? - October 15, 2018