Speaking to the Cannes crowd via satellite link up today, Guillermo Del Toro had some updates on his stop motion animated Pinocchio movie. While he made it clear that nobody had signed on just yet, Del Toro did name some possibilities. Here’s how the Daily edition of THR handed out at the fest put it:
[Del Toro] said Daniel Radcliffe had approached him “to get involved in the project” and that Tom Waits was on his wish list to play a part as one of the voice cast. Throwing out names, del Toro also said he instantly thought of Christopher Walken when he imagined the part played by the fox in the story.
We’ll see which of those deals come to pass.
For the Waits part, I imagine we’d be looking at the role of Mangiafuoco or, in the Disney version, Stromboli. He’s the puppet show master that Pinocchio crosses paths with very early on.
For Del Toro to not posit casting for the cat I suppose he’s yet to make his mind up. In Disney’s cartoon he had no voice, but in Collodi’s novel she often repeated things that the fox had said.
This being a stop motion film, the finished product is a long way off. We don’t have an exact date yet, but Del Toro today told the crowd to expect the film to be released in 2014.
So, stay tuned for two more years of updates.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014