A number of adoptees and adoptive parents are taking issue with one exchange in The Avengers.
Black Widow says of Loki:
He killed 80 people in 2 days.
To which Thor replies:
I laughed. My wife, sitting next to me, laughed. A good proportion of the audience laughed. I expect you most likely laughed too.
But some adoptees didn’t. One petition comes with the following statement:
Sooo..according to your scriptwriter, the fact he was adopted is the reason he is a bad guy!
Being adopted is NOT something to use for the butt of jokes! Marvel, immediately cease using adoption as the butt of jokes AND issue a public apology to the adoption community!
Not a hard position to pull down.
It’s a recurring fallacy to take the statement, or even underlying belief, of one character in a narrative and ascribe that position to the creator of the work. If we apply this across the board with The Avengers, we see that Joss Whedon also believes, for example, that “the unspoken truth about humanity is that they crave subjugation” and “there’s only one god and he doesn’t dress like that.”
I’m sure I don’t need to explain what this joke actually is, and who we’re actually laughing at.
There’s a few blog posts from adoptees out there asking for an apology or slamming the film for this line, and they weren’t hard to dig up. I’m now going to go looking to see if I can find any other plaintiffs out there, knocking Whedon for other reasons of this ilk. I hope I find some completely barmy ones.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014