FuryMAX #1 is published today, starting off as possibly the most perfect Garth Ennis comic book of all time. Seriously, let’s do a checklist.
Set in a time and place of moral quagmire? Check (between the two Indochina Wars).
Incompetent military commanders? Check.
Flipping expected loyalties around? Check (Nazi soldiers in the French Foreign Legion).
Politicians with their own agendas irrespective of the human cost? Check.
Very strong European accents on display, including impenetrable slang? Check (Look up “braw” now if you’ve never read Oor Wullie).
Elaborate and inventive swearing? Check.
Woman who can handle herself in a brawl, sexually active, swears like a trooper, and attracted to the older male lead? (Check, check, checkitty check).
The last time we had a Fury like this, it killed off the George Clooney Nick Fury movie project when his people read the comic, and indirectly led to Bill Jemas being fired. Skin colour aside, this would be a perfect book for Samuel L Jackson to star in.
Expect lots of duty to one’s fellow soldier, the accepted burden of being a man doing the right thing, and sex fuelled by adrenaline, testosterone and tobacco.
Comics courtesy of Orbital Comics of London. The full creative team of Transformers #80.5 will be signing on Free Comic Book Day this Saturday. And their Roger Langridge exhibition is on now.
- Rewriting The Life Of Ted Kord, Blue Beetle, Today (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017
- “He Pushed Us Forward” – Marvel Comics’ Tribute To Bernie Wrightson - April 26, 2017
- Well That Was Quick. X-Men Gold #2 Brings Back The Politics… (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017
- Rewriting The DC Universe Today In Flash #21 – Bringing It All Back Again (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017
- Today, Cassandra Cain Finally Chooses Her New Name (SPOILERS) - April 26, 2017