The films headed to Cannes for this year’s festival will be announced today, and now guaranteed to be on that list will be David Cronenberg‘s Cosmopolis. The festival slot is referenced specifically in this new trailer, making this the first outing for the liberally applied Cannes laurels for the year’s films.
Adapted from Don DeLillo’s novel, and starring Robert Pattinson in a perhaps completely incidental headline-grabbing fashion, this looks like the kind of lean, perverse futurism that Cronenberg has excelled at.
That trailer originated at Allocine.
One particularly passionate subset of internet fandom is tied-in to star worship, and a healthy proportion of the hordes of Pattinson lovers, germinated when he appeared in Harry Potter and exploded dramatically by the Twilight series, are now pretending, and often to themselves, to be really interested in David Cronenberg and Don DeLillo. The self delusion of this born again fandom, and the blind following of the pin-up to a new faith in their latest collaborators, makes it an interesting kind of obsessiveness, I think, and something I could even see taking seed and provoking a Cronenberg film in its own right.
At some point later today, I will return to tell you what else will be screening at Cannes this year. How much will be as appealing as Cosmopolis remains to be seen.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014