“There’s no TV, there’s no internet, there’s nothing. It’s just you.”
“Do you have forks?”
“It’s just you and … we have a couple of forks.”
“I might need to stab myself in the face.”
In Lynn Shelton‘s Your Sister’s Sister, Jack (Mark Duplass) is trapped in a funk of depression after his brother’s death. His best friend Iris (Emily Blunt) finally tires of seeing him wallow in grief and as a means of intervention invites him to stay at her remote family cabin on an island, with nothing to distract him but the beauty of nature. And her sister Hannah (Rosemarie Dewitt). Who Jack immediately has tequila-fuelled sex with.
After that, things get a bit complicated.
Humpday is one of the few constants on my ever-fluctuating “Top Five” list of movies, which is unusual for a film that is almost solely about what I like to refer to as “feelings and crap”. Writer-director Lynn Shelton has an almost uncomfortably sharp eye for character study, and when combined with a skilled improv actor like mumblecore co-founder Mark Duplass, the results can be fascinating to watch. Such was the case with Humpday, and such will hopefully be the case with Your Sister’s Sister.
The trailer, unfortunately, is of the sort that attempts to draw in an audience by showing a highly condensed version of the plot – including spoilers. If, like me, you find it frustrating to go into a film already knowing how much of it will turn out then I’d recommend not watching the video below and simply going into the film blind.
You’re going to watch it anyway, aren’t you? Well, don’t say you weren’t forewarned.
Your Sister’s Sister is on limited release from 15th June in the USA and 29th June in the UK.
- Jackie Chan Confirms Role In The Expendables 3 - December 17, 2012
- Garrett Hedlund Confirms Attachment To TRON 3 - December 13, 2012
- Lincoln And Argo Lead The 2013 Golden Globes Nominations - December 13, 2012
- James McAvoy And Mark Strong Star In New Trailer For Brit Action Thriller Welcome To The Punch - December 11, 2012
- The Asylum Finally Have One Of Their Mockbusters Blocked As Lawyers Stop Age Of The Hobbits - December 10, 2012