Disney apparently want a sequel to The Muppets ready for next summer. Yeah – they can want that. I want one for when I get back from the toilet in a couple of minutes, but that isn’t necessarily going to make it happen.*
Co-writer Nicholas Stoller seems sceptical about this tight turnaround too.
He’s currently co-writing a script for the sequel with with director James Bobin – and I do mean currently. The script has been outlined over the last few weeks and thirteen pages of the first draft have been put down in just the last day or so.
So, it’s early doors yet, and a lot could change before the audience take their seats. Still, at the moment, Stoller says, the film is “a caper.”
Good, because the Muppets have a Great track record with Capers. And Christmas Carols. And Taking Manhattan.
And Following That Bird.
As regards Jason Segel and his character of Gary from the last film, Stoller says that “right now” there’s the “possibility” of a cameo, but reconfirmed that it certainly won’t be a big role if Segel does indeed pop up.
If you’d like to see Stoller saying all of these things himself, there’s a video of it below, courtesy of Collider. Not that Collider are interpreting Stoller’s promise of “new characters” as “new Muppets” and, yeah, that might seem likely, but it isn’t a definite.
*Note my considered use of the word “necessarily” because, I promise you, I’m going to be wishing real hard that it might just happen from the second I flip up the toilet lid.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014