I couldn’t use a headline that said, “Matt Groening Finally Reveals Location Of The Simpsons‘ Springfield,” but this is as close as reality will allow.
Springfield was named after Springfield, Oregon.
But there is a catch.
The only reason is that when I was a kid, the TV show Father Knows Best took place in the town of Springfield, and I was thrilled because I imagined that it was the town next to Portland, my hometown. When I grew up, I realized it was just a fictitious name.
Having figured on how widespread the name was, Groening realised that viewers in all of those different Springfields would claim his fictional location as being inspired by their hometown. Just one more reason the show became so blessedly popular, I suppose.
Possibly figuring that Smithsonian Magazine is not a well read magazine, Groening went on to say:
I don’t want to ruin it for people, you know? Whenever people say it’s Springfield, Ohio, or Springfield, Massachusetts, or Springfield, wherever, I always go, ‘Yup, that’s right.’
Blissfully unaware of how bloggers, like me, and the Facebook millions were going to spread these heartbreaking words?
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014