David Tennant has starred in a new commercial for Virgin Media that quite openly trades on his status as a former Doctor Who. Not to spoil anything, but there’s a very Who-y conceit at the core of the thing, a specific emphasis on the words “science fiction” at one point, and very clear use of the current Doctor Who logo.
That’s right – the current one and not the one from the time of Tennant’s tenure in the TARDIS. How curious.
BBC guidelines prohibit the use of “the BBC brand” to endorse or promote other entities, which this commercial could well be said to do. I guess they can’t get in trouble if they didn’t play any part in it, though.
Today’s Daily Mirror quote a “BBC source” as saying:
Virgin did not run this advert past us and if they had, it probably would have been turned down.
And then a Virgin spokeswoman countering with something completely irrelevant:
Our new campaign explores some of the benefits of Virgin Media TiVo, including the ability to search for your favourite actor and discover TV programmes, films and YouTube content available live, on demand and as catch-up TV.
How political of her.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014