Ishiro Honda’s original Godzilla is a very deserving addition to the Criterion collection, and they’ve done it proud with their Blu-ray release. The set includes the “director’s cut” as well as the 1956 US version, re-editing lots of the same footage with new scenes featuring Raymond Burr.
Amongst the supplements are a pair of commentary tracks, one for each cut, and a nice featurette on the films’ effects work. It’s a cracking disc, as you’d expect, with a brilliantly well-restored print transferred to the disc expertly.
And right now, it’s only $18.99 on Amazon. That’s nicely down from the $39.95 RRP.
Cheaper still is the DVD version at $17.09, if you’re not all HD’d up.
The Criterion Blu-ray is, like all of their releases, locked at Region A, for the US and the disc is Region 1 though I doubt many of you will have trouble with this.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014