We do love our classic logos in comics. Nothing like a new twist on an old logo to get people’s attention — something I’ve always found fascinating when the subject has come up on BC. As for Superman’s S-Shield, it hasn’t really changed all that much since around 1940-41 or so. It went through some quick evolution over the first couple years (1938-40) of the character’s publication in Action Comics and Superman, but after that — they knew not to mess too much with a good thing.
So it goes with the new Man of Steel logo. It’s got a bevel and some chrome and texture, but that aside it’s pretty close in spirit to what Joe Shuster, Fred Ray, Wayne Boring, and others were doing with it 70+ years ago.
Most-Read Comic Stories Today:
Remember the Bleeding Cool story last month, pointing out a certain panel in Daredevil #9 that seemed to suggest certain sexual activities between Daredevil and Black Cat? Sure you do.
Before Watchmen starts in June with Minutemen, Silk Spectre, Comedian and Nite Owl. Bleeding Cool has mentioned the creators coming on board for variant covers, now we can see just how DC are using them to incentivise retailers to stock up in depth.
Cosplay photographer Jay Tablante of the Phillippines is a bit of a Bleeding Cool favourite. Here are a few of his latest cosplay works…
Most-Read TV/Film Stories Today:
Dan Carvey dropped a bombshell on Conan last night. It was a follow-up to Will Ferrell’s (considerably more real) Anchorman 2 announcement and nicely pre-empted today’s news of Clerks 3 on Broadway.
Superman’s shield has had a little bit of an overhaul, with an extra layer of relief, some more serif noodling and a surface like something that’s been set on fire.
Kevin Smith is sticking to his plan for retiring from cinema, but this apparently won’t be a kiss of death for the Clerks series
- Sean Spicer: More Than Meets The Eye? - January 22, 2017
- Starting Today: CGC Insider – Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Comic Book Grading, And More - January 19, 2017
- The Rock Talks #BlackAdam And The Entire DCU: “Hope, Optimism & FUN… Prepare Yourselves DC Universe” - January 11, 2017
- Alien: Covenant Short Teaser Starts Unwrapping Your Christmas Present A Day Early - December 24, 2016
- Milwaukee Bucks Owner Marc Lasry Sells Wonder Woman #1 CGC 9.0 ‘Solicitation Copy’ For Record $291,100 - December 14, 2016