Rob Liefeld is taking over the comics Grifter, Deathstroke and Savage Hawkman, in a bit of a mini-DC relaunch, plotting them all in conjunction as part of a new cosmic storyline, and drawing Deathstroke. He is joined on the Savage Hawkman by Joe Bennett drawing , co-scripting by Mark Poulton. And on Grifter, Scott Clark will keep drawing it, co-scripted by Frank Tieri
Why is this change happening, moving from working on one book to working on three? He’s rather blunt, tweeting;
No easy way to approach this, but GRIFTER, HAWKMAN and DEATHSTROKE need your help in May!
Despite the best efforts of the creative teams, sales have fallen off a cliff for these books. In May we provide new jumping on points 4 all
Retailers-if you’re satisfied with the sales on these books, I think we can move additional copies. If you’re not satisfied-take a chance!
In February, Grifter placed 126th in the chart, selling 12% of Batman. Deathstroke was in 104th place, 15% of Batman sales. And Hawkman was 103rd, about the same. While the big DC news has been their dominance of the top ten, a number of the other titles have been rapidly dropping down the charts with Marvel’s mid-chart dominance to give them the market share they boast about.
It’s worth noting however, that Rob Liefeld’s now-cancelled book Hawk And Dove, was below all three at 136th place, 11% of Batman.
Rob does have a habit, of course, of pulling out sales and attention like a rabbit out of a hat. We’re all waiting to see what’s up his sleeve.
The comic I would be concerned for though? Captain Atom at 140th place… which has not been cancelled. Yet.
- Brian Walton And Luke Y Thompson, Both Gone From Wizard World - November 21, 2017
- When DC Comics Makes The Case Against Harley Quinn - November 21, 2017
- San Diego Comic-Con Vs Salt Lake Comic Con Goes To Trial Over Trademark - November 21, 2017
- New Owners Reed POP Cancels MCM Midlands, Liverpool And Northern Ireland - November 21, 2017
- DC Launches Justice League Of China Comic Book In 2018 - November 20, 2017