While some have noted the resemblance of the new Captain Marvel to Marvelwoman/Miraclewoman, as portrayed by John Totleben below, there’s one of the released images of the new Ms Marvel that bears another resemblace to the World War II poster image, now associated with Rosie The Riveter.
Rosie The Riveter first appeared in wartime US songs celebrating one of the women during the war doing what was considered male work previously, factory manual labour. The poster from the forties was linked to the song, the character and the feminist movement in the eighties.
In Swipe File we present two or more images that resemble each other to some degree. They may be homages, parodies, ironic appropriations, coincidences or works of the lightbox. We trust you, the reader, to make that judgment yourself. If you are unable to do so, please return your eyes to their maker before any further damage is done. The Swipe File doesn’t judge, it’s interested more in the process of creation, how work influences other work, how new work comes from old, and sometimes how the same ideas emerge simultaneously, as if their time has just come. The Swipe File was named after the advertising industry habit where writers and artist collect images and lines they admire to inspire them in their work. It was swiped from the Comic Journal who originally ran this column, as well as the now defunct Swipe Of The Week website.
- Yes, Avengers #675 Starts A Weekly Avengers Title With A Lot Of Creators - September 26, 2017
- Ed Piskor’s Next Comic Is A Shoe Box Story Of How Baltimore Saved The Nike AF-1 - September 26, 2017
- Ask For Mercy: A New Comic From Richard Starkings And Abz-J-Harding - September 26, 2017
- Fifteen Big Spoilers For Tomorrow’s Marvel Legacy #1 – In Order Of Spoileriness - September 26, 2017
- What Titan Comics’ Doctor Might Look Like In 2018 - September 26, 2017