Recently, Todd McFarlane came clean – the man credited as writing Spawn for the last couple of years, one Will Carlton, was actually Todd himself.
We’re heading into the 20th anniversary of Spawn. That’ll be issue 220. I’m going to jump on board and do the covers starting with that issue. I’ll start doing some goofy stuff. I’ve been writing the book. You know, nobody really paid attention but there was a guy that took over the book with 201. A writer named Will Carlton. That was actually me writing under a pseudonym. So I’ve been writing the book from issue 185 non-stop. When I say that 15 issues were done by the same team, I know that because I was the guy writing all that.
Which makes Newsarama interviews like this one even more entertaining.
Nrama: It’s listed that Todd will be helping out Szymon with the art, but as the book’s creator and in many ways editor, what will Todd’s role be with the writing of the issues?
Carlton: He had input on how to shape those ideas into better stories, which I respect. It’s a very collaborative effort. I’m not just working on this in a vacuum. I’ll still be as close to Todd as any writer can be, which should help if I ever need clarification on the mythos, or a fresh set of eyes on a plot or script.
So here it is. Todd McFarlane writing, and drawing one of the many covers for Spawn #220, the 20th anniversary of title drawn by Szymon Kudranski. WIll Carlton… I guess Todd likes the Fresh Prince…
- Let There Be Light? Tomorrow’s Ultimates 2 #8 Tells The Very Beginning Of The Marvel Multiverse - April 25, 2017
- A Host Of New Comics Announced At C2E2 From Lion Forge - April 25, 2017
- An Unannounced Issue Of Surgeon X To Be Digitally Published Tomorrow, By Sara Kenney And Warren Pleece - April 25, 2017
- Marvel’s Agents Of Hydra Shout Sheets For Fitz And Simmons…. It’s Not Looking Good - April 25, 2017
- How Faith And Ninjak Went To Homecoming Together – Courtesy Of David Lafuente - April 25, 2017