Recently, Todd McFarlane came clean – the man credited as writing Spawn for the last couple of years, one Will Carlton, was actually Todd himself.
We’re heading into the 20th anniversary of Spawn. That’ll be issue 220. I’m going to jump on board and do the covers starting with that issue. I’ll start doing some goofy stuff. I’ve been writing the book. You know, nobody really paid attention but there was a guy that took over the book with 201. A writer named Will Carlton. That was actually me writing under a pseudonym. So I’ve been writing the book from issue 185 non-stop. When I say that 15 issues were done by the same team, I know that because I was the guy writing all that.
Which makes Newsarama interviews like this one even more entertaining.
Nrama: It’s listed that Todd will be helping out Szymon with the art, but as the book’s creator and in many ways editor, what will Todd’s role be with the writing of the issues?
Carlton: He had input on how to shape those ideas into better stories, which I respect. It’s a very collaborative effort. I’m not just working on this in a vacuum. I’ll still be as close to Todd as any writer can be, which should help if I ever need clarification on the mythos, or a fresh set of eyes on a plot or script.
So here it is. Todd McFarlane writing, and drawing one of the many covers for Spawn #220, the 20th anniversary of title drawn by Szymon Kudranski. WIll Carlton… I guess Todd likes the Fresh Prince…
- Oh The Celebrities You’ll Meet At San Diego Comic-Con - July 22, 2017
- The Winners Of The Eisner Awards 2017 In Full – And Their Reactions! - July 22, 2017
- Black Eyed Peas Played The Marvel Party In San Diego Last Night – Video And Photos - July 22, 2017
- The Eisner Awards 2017 – Live, As They Come In - July 21, 2017
- IDW Cut Comics By 25% – And More First Strike, Star Trek, And Black Crown From The Diamond Retailer Presentation - July 21, 2017