Recently, Todd McFarlane came clean – the man credited as writing Spawn for the last couple of years, one Will Carlton, was actually Todd himself.
We’re heading into the 20th anniversary of Spawn. That’ll be issue 220. I’m going to jump on board and do the covers starting with that issue. I’ll start doing some goofy stuff. I’ve been writing the book. You know, nobody really paid attention but there was a guy that took over the book with 201. A writer named Will Carlton. That was actually me writing under a pseudonym. So I’ve been writing the book from issue 185 non-stop. When I say that 15 issues were done by the same team, I know that because I was the guy writing all that.
Which makes Newsarama interviews like this one even more entertaining.
Nrama: It’s listed that Todd will be helping out Szymon with the art, but as the book’s creator and in many ways editor, what will Todd’s role be with the writing of the issues?
Carlton: He had input on how to shape those ideas into better stories, which I respect. It’s a very collaborative effort. I’m not just working on this in a vacuum. I’ll still be as close to Todd as any writer can be, which should help if I ever need clarification on the mythos, or a fresh set of eyes on a plot or script.
So here it is. Todd McFarlane writing, and drawing one of the many covers for Spawn #220, the 20th anniversary of title drawn by Szymon Kudranski. WIll Carlton… I guess Todd likes the Fresh Prince…
- The Small Town Barbeque Vampires Of “Redneck” By Donny Cates, Lisandro Estherren And Dee Cunniffe From Image/Skybound In April - January 23, 2017
- Topps To Publish A Trump-Based Garbage Pail Kids Comic – Donald Dump! - January 23, 2017
- What Will Happen To Task Force X After Justice League Vs Suicide Squad? Just Ask Grant Morrison (SPOILERS) - January 23, 2017
- Speculator Corner: Star Wars #49 – The Last Jedi – From Marvel Comics - January 23, 2017
- Scott Lobdell Writes Aspen’s Crossover Series, No World, Debuting In April 2017 - January 23, 2017