When Scott Dunbier innovated the Absolute format at DC/Wildstorm for The Authority, it wasn’t long before the rest of the DCU, and then Marvel, decided they should have a go with the format as well. The oversize collection of a specific comic book run in a fashion more suited to French albums has been a mainstay of a number of publisher’s plans since, bumping up revenue significantly at Christmas time.
Then Scott Dunbier innovated The Artist’s Edition format at IDW, reprinting a comic by going to the original art and reproducing the boards as accurately as possible. Rather than copy it for themselves, this time Marvel has allowed IDW to outsource their content, with Walter Simonson Thor and David Mazzucchelli Daredevil editions.
But Titan Books have gone one step further. With Prometheus on the way, they are replicating the format for themselves, with Alien: The Illustrated Story: The Artists’ Edition, now renamed from “The Original Edition” to closer mirror the IDW editions. The volume will reprint the original art of the Heavy Metal Archie Goodwin/Walter Simonson adaptation of Ridley Scott’s Alien at the 14″ x 17″ size.
The volume will also include colour tryout pages, the Goodwin script, an interviews with Simonson as well as his signature on every copy. Titan are also making the original story available in colour paperback at a… slightly more affordable price as Alien – The Illustrated Story.
- DC Comics To Run TV Ads For ‘Dark Knight III: The Master Race’ Collection For The Holidays - July 24, 2017
- Details On How Harley Quinn Will Take Over Batman Day In September - July 24, 2017
- Where Was Henry Cavill During San Diego Comic-Con 2017? - July 24, 2017
- Batman Comics Could Have Had A Priest In Charge - July 24, 2017
- Make-A-Wish Recipient Meets Steven Universe Cast At San Diego Comic-Con 2017 - July 24, 2017