This is still the only publically available photograph of the comic industry’s only billionaire. Scrooge McDuck does not count.
Isaac Perlmutter has just been name-tagged with number 683 on Forbes’ billionaire list, putting him in the one percent of the one percent.
Perlmutter took a billion in dollars and shares from the sale of Marvel to Disney. This made him Disney’s largest shareholder, and he still spends his days at Marvel running the company.
Veteran of the Six Day War, he got there thanks to the toy company he set up with Avi Arad after coming to America, that became Toy Biz, was bought out by Marvel, and in the ensuing bankruptcy of the parent company, found himself on top, owning a quarter of the shares. Emerging from bankruptcy, with strong financial success, he clearly benefited – you can read about the whole battle here. He put off selling the company for years, until Disney made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.
And the recession hasn’t harmed him too much, he was at 1.7 billion in September last year, so he’s estimated to have made $200,000,000 since then…
So.. can anyone get a more recent photograph?
- An Earth/Krypton War, And More Comic Book Futures, Revealed Today – Action Comics #996, Judgement Day #1, X-Men Blue #20 SPOILERS - January 24, 2018
- Shout Sheet For Agents Of SHIELD S05E09 – The Revolution Begins - January 24, 2018
- Marvel 2-In-One #2 Gives Us a New Timeline for the Marvel Universe - January 24, 2018
- The Siegel and Shuster Lost Superman Story that Marv Wolfman Rescued as a Boy - January 23, 2018
- Thanos #15, Avengers #677 and #678 Go to Second Print Before Even Going on Sale - January 23, 2018