This is still the only publically available photograph of the comic industry’s only billionaire. Scrooge McDuck does not count.
Isaac Perlmutter has just been name-tagged with number 683 on Forbes’ billionaire list, putting him in the one percent of the one percent.
Perlmutter took a billion in dollars and shares from the sale of Marvel to Disney. This made him Disney’s largest shareholder, and he still spends his days at Marvel running the company.
Veteran of the Six Day War, he got there thanks to the toy company he set up with Avi Arad after coming to America, that became Toy Biz, was bought out by Marvel, and in the ensuing bankruptcy of the parent company, found himself on top, owning a quarter of the shares. Emerging from bankruptcy, with strong financial success, he clearly benefited – you can read about the whole battle here. He put off selling the company for years, until Disney made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.
And the recession hasn’t harmed him too much, he was at 1.7 billion in September last year, so he’s estimated to have made $200,000,000 since then…
So.. can anyone get a more recent photograph?
- Comics Folk React To (Or Are Part Of) The Women’s Marches Against Donald Trump - January 21, 2017
- Peter Capaldi Joins The Anti-Trump Women’s March In London – Potential Spoiler For The 13th Doctor? - January 21, 2017
- Firefly Fans Represent In Anti-Trump Women’s March In Chicago… - January 21, 2017
- Is Nick Spencer Suited To Write Captain America If He Opposes Punching Nazis? We Asked Captain America In 1982 - January 21, 2017
- Wizard World No Longer Taking Credit Cards For Tables And Booths – Cheques And Cash Only - January 21, 2017