Dwayne Johnson has signed on to play Hercules for Brett Ratner in an adaptation of Steve Moore‘s comic, The Thracian Wars. Google image search would suggest that Moore’s version of Hercules spends a lot of the time wearing the pelt of the Nemean lion, which I seem to recall was impervious to swords and arrows. What a great bit of armour – and something that leaves the character a target for up close, man-grappling attacks in a WWE vein. It all makes sense when I look at it now.
In this particular story, Hercules is put in charge of a group of six mercenaries, but after they’re sent to kill innocents, he revolts and tries to prevent his crazy king from plunging the nation into a terrible war. Something like that, anyhow. Seems a bit like The A-Team to me. But with super tough lion pelts. And a bit more body oiling.
Variety report that the project will film in New Zealand from this October.
Chances are Johnson will be better dressed in Ciudad, a new thriller from The Russo Brothers, previously culpable for You, Me and Dupree and Welcome to Collinwood.
Yet again, this project is based on comics, but this time, it’s comics that haven’t been published yet. And yet again, Johnson will play a mercenary, yet again hired by somebody corrupt (this time, a drug baron in contemporary Mexico but clearly that’s not the important bit).
Anybody out there who wants to hook The Rock to their project, I think you can probably see the patterns forming.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014