Rob Reiner last night directed a one-night-only performance of Dustin Lance Black’s play 8. The cast was very much an A-list affair, which helped bring an awful lot of attention to the project. We have George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Martin Sheen, Jamie Lee Curtis, John C. Reilly, Jane Lynch, Kevin Bacon and more, including a couple of faces from Glee, I think. The play recounts the war against Proposition 8, the constitutional amendment that rendered same-sex marriage illegal in California.
This embed allows you to play back the live stream broadcast, though the first several minutes are nothing more than a title card. Skip to 17:58 for the pre-play context, provided by a montage of archive news footage, or to 30:22 for the play itself.
I shall be settling in to watch this later. Great cast and I’m a very big fan of Reiner, and this is, no doubt, a dramatic story.
There’s a donation button on the YouTube page for this video if you want to support the American Federation for Equal Rights.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014