I’ll give you two good reasons to pre-order Game of Thrones on Blu-ray.
First of all, Amazon’s US price has dropped to a surprisingly low level tonight, coming in at just $34.99, a saving of 56% from the RRP of $79.98.
Secondly, I’ve had my check discs of the series for a couple of days now and have dug in deep enough to tell you they really got this right. The 1080p AVC encoded image is pin-point perfect, the DTS-HD audio makes incredible use of 5.1, neither wimping out on low frequencies or muddying the mix across the full stage.
And the supplements are more than generous. There are seven audio commentaries, one video commentary, a half-hour making of, twenty odd featurettes… and a handful more that I haven’t gotten to yet.
I’ll be bringing you a rather more comprehensive look at these special features as we get closer to release, but I can honestly tell you, they’re good stuff and enhanced my appreciation of the show’s cast and crew no end.
No, I can’t confirm that the retail discs in the US are region free and therefore import friendly, but a listing on the UK Amazon site does promise they will be. As soon as I can verify, I will.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014