Troy talked to Bleeding Cool about opening the only comic store in Costa Rica, BoomShop.
There are a couple of other shops here that sell toys, games and whatnot and have a couple comics along with them, but we’re the only real “comic shop”. I’m amazed at the amount of people that keep asking me if there is enough comics to keep a comic shop going. I’m having to explain what a subscription service is. They are all amazed that they are getting comics regularly and only paying cover price.
I married a Tica (what they call Costa Rican women). She lived in the States with me and once when we came here for a visit, we went to a small comic gathering where lots of kids dressed up in comic costumes and a few bootleg vendors sold stuff.
I was struck they were all representing comic book genres, yet there were no comic books to speak of. I decided that this country needs a comic convention. So thats what I did, had a convention, BoomCon. It did good enough to have a second next year and after MANY roadblocks, we opened a store.
We’ve had a great response so far and haven’t even gotten our first Diamond order. We’re going to be carrying all new comics and graphic novels as well as as many back issues as i can fit in the store. We’re keeping the local community involved by having party’s and meetings here as much as possible.
We’ve done the soft opening last week and plan on the giant grand opening on March the 15th. We’re doing a charity auction for a local childrens home and we’re also going to fly a major artist down to do a signing and meet the locals.
BoomShop is located in San Pedro across from the San Pedro Mall.
- Stirrups & Beans: Food, Comics And Bringing Back The Chisholm Kid, In Manhattan This April - February 27, 2017
- J Scott Campbell’s Exclusive Venomized Cover To Iron Fist #1 (UPDATE) - February 27, 2017
- All The ECCC 2017 Comic Book Exclusives We Can Find In One Big Post - February 27, 2017
- Comics Delays This Week In Arizona – At Least - February 27, 2017
- This Week, America Punches Nazis - February 27, 2017