You may consider the following images and ideas to be spoilers for The Amazing Spider-Man. Don’t go any further if you’re at all worried about that.
Here’s a toy from the New York Toy Fair. There’s certainly nothing unusual about that – this site has been alarmingly toy heavy over the last few weeks and particularly the last few days. So why even bother bringing this one up? Look at his legs.
Okay, interesting. That’s a symptom that would get the attention of even Gregory House.
So let’s do the differential. Here are five theories as to what those translucent legs might mean. They might start on the silly side, but they’re building to something… a real, genuine spoiler, I think.
1. The Lizard is like chameleon
Perhaps this is supposed to suggest his ability to blend into the background, like a chameleon. Who knows what kind of Lizard he’s supposed to be, or where the experimental DNA came from?
Of course, a chameleon would tend to be able to blend in all over, not just from the knees down. Is he a rubbish chameleon?
2. The Lizard has the power of invisibility
Maybe The Lizard can turn invisible somehow (perhaps a magic cloak?) but again, just from the knees down. Which is a bit like that joke:
Why do elephants wear shoes with yellow soles?
So you don’t see them when they float upside down in a bowl of custard.
If you think I made that up, google it, because I sure as heck didn’t.
So… magic socks, anyone?
3. This is a partly mutated Connors, and his extremities aren’t done baking yet
See the shot in the trailer where Connors is peeling away the cover on his regenerated hand and we’ve got something really jelly-like? And those set-pictures, in which we can see into his gummy hand? That’s what this translucent plastic is representing, isn’t it?
So maybe his transformation occurs gradually, and what we have here is a Lizard all-done but for the last bit. Perhaps it works downwards, or outwards from his once-amputated arm.
4. The Lizard loses his feet, and regenerates them mid-story
Actually, I think that previous theory is getting close.
But it’s not that his legs are in the process of mutating, but in the process of growing back.
Seems like the Lizard is going to get cut off at the knees, somehow. I doubt it’s something Peter does to him on purpose, likely the result of some large scale conflict. I bet if we went back over the trailers now, looking for the big chop, we’d probably find a clue somewhere… perhaps at the conflict on the bridge? Something going on in the subway?
Sounds plausible, I think…
5. Look, it’s almost definitely that last one, but let’s just play with this
He’s going to a fancy dress party. As… erm… a Lizard. With see-through lower legs.
Thanks, again, to Paul from Idle Hands for giving us the picture. He’d got as far as the “blending in” idea, so I claim bragging rights.
Remember where you heard this first – even if it does turn out to be invisibility socks.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014