Just when we thought we knew what was going on, along come some little pink plastic toys and everything’s up in the air again.
Of late, two of the key clauses in my job description have been:
- 27B/6 – Scour the internet for superhero toys, looking for clues to movie plotlines and spoilers
- 38 – Try to work out what the heck those aliens in The Avengers are
Well, I’ve been earning my money tonight.
During a trip to the Toy Fair in New York, Idle Hands‘ Paul Nomad took a snapshot of a prototype table-top game tie-in for The Avengers. While stressing it is just a proof of concept design, and one that’s actually pretty unlikely to make it into production, Nomad has also noticed one potentially huge spoiler.
Here’s a shot of the whole game set as displayed, then a close-up of some of the figures. Let’s find out if you can see what I see:
Are those little pink Skrulls?
Remember that it has been rumoured for a very long time that Skrulls will be in the film but, recently, producer Kevin Feige came out and declared that they will not:
It’s not Skrulls, I’ve been clear about that. Beyond that, we want to hide it. The identity of the alien race is not impactful. It exists in the comic books, but we’re not setting up the Kree-Skrull war or anything like that.
We’ve been thinking that we cracked the mystery from the Super Bowl trailer, and that the “aliens” would be:
…something like the sons of Muspell, from somewhere like Muspellheim.
But don’t these little plastic figures de-rail that entirely?
Ah, maybe. Maybe not. It’s apparently a prototype, and we don’t know if the designers had more than “aliens” and rumours of Skrull to go on.
Or maybe, seeing as the characters are CG creations, the plan was actually changed somewhere along the line – heck, it could have been a fortnight ago for all we know.
It has been noted that the movie rights to Skrull currently reside with Fox as part of the Fantastic Four deal so perhaps Loki’s goons are Chitauri, Skrulls by any other name. Perhaps not.
I’m sticking with the Muspell chaps.
We’ll know for sure in April. I’m looking forward to the sleep.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014