Thank you for all those who wrote to me after seeing the cover to Avengers Vs X-Men #4 as Thor trying to face down Phoenix, as man trying to face his fear of a glowing vagina.
I don’t know, it may be reaching. I know that the X-Men’s Dark Phoenix Saga has been described as a feminist comic for boys, and yes even with the Hellfire Club, the mind rape of Phoenix by Mastermind and her ultimate suicide, it’s still seen by some as a feminist text, the use of the Phoenix should be seen in that light, the embodying of female power as both a destructive and a creative force – yet one interpreted through self sacrifice. And true, we have been mocking earlier Avengers Vs X-Men covers for their yaoist tendencies – but I’m still not sure whether seeing this cover to issue 4 of the series in such a symbolic fashion is justified or not.
What would Nathan Fillion say?
“The hammer is my penis”
You’re not helping, Nathan. Although it probably has a way to go to beat this one, from DC Comics a few years ago…
- When Alan Moore Talked About DC Comics And Watchmen Sequels…. Back In 2010 - November 22, 2017
- Time Is Broken In The DC Universe, Batman Says So (SPOILERS) - November 22, 2017
- Paul Weller In Today’s Invincible Iron Man #594 (SPOILERS) - November 22, 2017
- Where Do The Marvel Universe Think The Fantastic Four Are? Iron Man And Moon Girl Spoilers…. - November 22, 2017
- Kick-Ass #1 And Metal #6 On Front And Back Of Next Week’s Diamond Previews Catalogue - November 22, 2017