Creator of a large body of amall, intimate works, JC Denis has never had a break out hit, but his work has always been critically well received since he began writing and drawing comics in the seventies, alongside his work in music, design and illustration, and has influenced two generations of successfull comic book creators.
Recent work such as L’ombre aux tableaux et autres histoires, Tous à Matha, Quelques mois à L’Amélie and Animal has also been joined by a contribution to the lighter The Beatles: Comical Hystery Tour.
He may not have had the financial success that usually goes along with such a career, but this award may change that. The Angoulême 2012 Grand Prix, which comes with the honour of being the President of the Angoulême Comics Festival the next year. Art Spiegelman was the winner last year and, as President this year, presented the award to JC Denis.
Here are a few examples of his work.
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List – 30th April 2017 “The X-Men Are Big Sellers And Marvel Seems To Have Suddenly Remembered That” - April 30, 2017
- Grief For A Dollar - April 30, 2017
- George Pérez “Doing Great, Feeling Much Better” - April 30, 2017
- Entering The Spill Zone With Scott Westerfeld Ahead Of Free Comic Book Day - April 29, 2017
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who: On Thin Ice – From Black Jesus To Punching Nazis - April 29, 2017