Creator of a large body of amall, intimate works, JC Denis has never had a break out hit, but his work has always been critically well received since he began writing and drawing comics in the seventies, alongside his work in music, design and illustration, and has influenced two generations of successfull comic book creators.
Recent work such as L’ombre aux tableaux et autres histoires, Tous à Matha, Quelques mois à L’Amélie and Animal has also been joined by a contribution to the lighter The Beatles: Comical Hystery Tour.
He may not have had the financial success that usually goes along with such a career, but this award may change that. The Angoulême 2012 Grand Prix, which comes with the honour of being the President of the Angoulême Comics Festival the next year. Art Spiegelman was the winner last year and, as President this year, presented the award to JC Denis.
Here are a few examples of his work.
- Watch Halle Berry Chug A Glass Of Whisky At San Diego Comic-Con’s ‘Kingsman’ Panel - July 20, 2017
- The Props Of Blade Runner At San Diego Comic-Con – With A Surprise Appearance From Adam Savage - July 20, 2017
- Steven Moffat And Sue Vertue Talk Sherlock Holmes And Manga At San Diego Comic-Con - July 20, 2017
- Jakks Pacific’s San Diego Comic-Con Panel In 61 Photos – Will We Get A Nightwing Toy Now? - July 20, 2017
- John Barrowman Dances On Stage In A TARDIS Dress At San Diego Comic-Con - July 20, 2017