Creator of a large body of amall, intimate works, JC Denis has never had a break out hit, but his work has always been critically well received since he began writing and drawing comics in the seventies, alongside his work in music, design and illustration, and has influenced two generations of successfull comic book creators.
Recent work such as L’ombre aux tableaux et autres histoires, Tous à Matha, Quelques mois à L’Amélie and Animal has also been joined by a contribution to the lighter The Beatles: Comical Hystery Tour.
He may not have had the financial success that usually goes along with such a career, but this award may change that. The Angoulême 2012 Grand Prix, which comes with the honour of being the President of the Angoulême Comics Festival the next year. Art Spiegelman was the winner last year and, as President this year, presented the award to JC Denis.
Here are a few examples of his work.
- Kirby Comics Opens in Hanover, Pennsylvania, Makes the Front Page - January 20, 2018
- Al Ewing Has a “Most Awesome, Mind-Bending Miniseries Ever” Coming from Marvel Comics - January 20, 2018
- First Peek at Wild’s End Original Graphic Novel by Dan Abnett and INJ Culbard - January 20, 2018
- 28-Page Preview of Super Suckers #1, Another of Sitcomics’ 64-Page $3.99 Comics - January 20, 2018
- A Chat with Travis McIntire, Publisher of Source Point Press - January 20, 2018