Alison Bechdel’s Are You My Mother is her follow up to Fun Home, and has a hundred thousand first print run for its initial publication. And with a $25 cover price, will likely make more money than any other comic book coming out at that time.
Even The Walking Dead, Naruto and One Piece.
Recently David Cameron, British Prime Minister, was reported to have appealled to the British film industry to make more commercially appealling films, in the wake of the success of The King’s Speech. It’s been pointed out however, that this film wasn’t expected to be the commercial success it was, and that the likes of Sex Lives Of The Potato Men is an example of an attempted success that failed miserably.
The media behemoths of DC and Marvel strive, month in, month out, running a Red Queen’s Race for sales success. But the last time either has a graphic novel print run like this was with Neil Gaiman’s The Endless. And DC didn’t do what Neil wanted in order for him to write the Sandman Zero six issue-then-collected-in-leather story.
It’s an incredible success for Bechdel, whose appeal before Fun Home could be described as niche – defined specifically by the market as a lesbian cartoonist, even as her “Bechel Test” for how movies handle female characters, gained wider and wider dissemination.
But now? She’s more mainstream than Wolverine. I hope she appreciates the comparison.
- What Might Grant Morrison and Liam Sharp’s Green Lantern Be Like? - May 26, 2018
- Tom Ellis Sang to #SaveLucifer at MCM London Comic Con (VIDEO) - May 26, 2018
- 63 Cosplay Pics from MCM London Comic Con 2018 - May 26, 2018
- Comic Store in Your Future: The Return of Diamond’s Secret Shopper - May 26, 2018
- Letitia Wright Would Rather Be the New Black Panther Than the New Iron Man - May 26, 2018