Welcome to the new DC Comics logo…. that you saw first at Bleeding Cool, obviously. Revealed at Fast Company who ran an interview with Dan DiDio and Jim Lee earlier, this is the real deal. And they come in a variety of colours, and designs, including a Watchmen yellow-with-blood-splatter variety, that, presumably, will be on the new Watchmen prequel comic books.
Bleeding Cool also mentioned how the touchscreen, interactive and animated aspect of the new logo would be a major aspect of it, and you can see that in action below, revealing Green Lantern.
The article quotes Amit Desai, Senior Vice President of Franchise Management at DC, who we also revealed was behind the presentation to DC Comics internally, as saying “We didn’t want a static logo, but a living identity that could capture the power of our characters and storytelling. What is special about DC content is the notion of a dual identity. When you think about our DC Comics superheroes, there’s a secret identity. When you think about Vertigo, it’s this notion of good vs. evil in many of the stories. And so, in addition to flexibility, the new logo communicates this idea of dual identity: there’s more than meets the eye. You have to take a closer look to understand the richness of our characters and stories.”
The article also mentions DC Comics Executive Vice President of Sales John Rood’s involvement in the branding alongside Landor Associates. This man already has a tattoo of Texas on one ankle, we hope the new DC logo will join it on the other ankle.
And while there has been criticism, at least of the trademarked version of the logo, Desai states that this decision was taken after major focus group activities including comic book fans. So if you don’t like it, you are collectively to blame. They also confirm the font of the letters, as Gotham Bold.
And as for the blander, more corporate look that many criticised the trademarked version of the logo, that seems to be reserved for the more corporate, official arm, DC Entertainment.
Next, we await DC to reveal the animated version. Look to DC Source, I guess…
- Tomorrow’s Comics Today With Generations Thor And Nightwing’s New Order – A Comic Show - August 22, 2017
- Chuck Dixon – The Most Published Comic Book Writer Of All Time? 40,000 Pages On September 6th - August 22, 2017
- Tomorrow’s Generations: The Thors Will Properly Tie In With Marvel Legacy #1. Honest. - August 22, 2017
- Image Comics Full November 2017 Solicits Launch Void Trip, Port Of Earth, No 1 With A Bullet, Coyotes, Dark Fang, Gravediggers Union - August 22, 2017
- Win One Of Three Tickets To The First-Ever Crunchyroll Expo - August 22, 2017