Roger Langridge, writer of The Mighty Thor and Muppets of late, but also known for his Fred The Clown, Knuckles The Nun and other more salacious characters, is to take on the tale of a violent, drunk, sailor, his unfortunate sweetheart and his mortal enemy.
Yup, it’s Bluto. With a first issue cover doing its best impersonation of Action Comics #1, starting from April with a new series from IDW written by Roger Langridge, and drawn by Bruce Ozella.
Langridge’s skill with The Muppets was to make the stories as good as you remember them – not as good as they were, the originals individually can sometimes be disappointing, but you remember the very best, condensed together. And that’s what Langridge delivers.
“Ever since I was a kid, the two cartoonists who have had the biggest influence on me have been Carl Barks and E.C. Segar, so getting a chance to write Popeye is quite a thrill,” said Langridge. “I’m especially pleased that IDW have decided to go with a Segar-flavored interpretation. As much as I like some of the later versions of the character, for me, it’s those early strips where the magic really happened. Just as well Segar drew everybody with big feet, because Bruce and I have some enormous shoes to fill!”
The comic will also have a variant cover by Jules Feiffer.
- Marvel Comics Put The Fantastic Four #1 Spoiler On The Second Printing Front Cover - August 14, 2018
- Lisa Bloom to Represent #MeToo Allegations Against IDW’s President and Publisher - August 14, 2018
- Marvel May Act Against CryptoCurrency Wacoinda - August 14, 2018
- Tomorrows Infinity Wars #2 Gets a Surprise Spoiler Variant - August 14, 2018
- A Wicked + A Divine Interactive Experience at Thought Bubble - August 14, 2018