The most recent film from Ti West was The Innkeepers, a horror film set in a largely-empty, haunted hotel. It was just about as scary as a chocolate bar, except when it acted like one of those “screamer” videos from YouTube and the scares were cut in half.
But it did work, fairly well, when it was about the characters left in charge of the hotel, chatting, disagreeing, interacting. It made me wish that West would consider a new bias, perhaps trying a talky character comedy instead.
His next film hinges on a large, empty location too, but he’s going to crank the isolation up even further. According to Deadline, the film will be about:
a woman who spends several months alone in space as an experimental subject for a global pharmaceutical company, and finds herself inexplicably pregnant.
That’s an interesting hook, and there’s scope for a lot of interesting stuff about pregnancy and the body and so on, but if she’s all alone… none of the bantery bits that worked so well in Innkeepers. Shame.
The role of Catherine Rigby, lost in space lady, has gone to Liv Tyler. West says, of his lead actress:
It was essential that I find an actress who could portray a wide range of emotion and always earn the audience’s sympathy no matter what the situation. As soon as I sat down with Liv, it was obvious she was the one.
Sympathy, eh? Oh… I think I can see where this is going.
Tyler may have been producer Ted Hope’s idea – they recently collaborated on Super.
Steven Soderbergh is gearing up to start production on a pharmaceuticals thriller, Side Effects. I’m sure somebody will change their title before long.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014