Washington DC TV Station Fox 5 is running a news report tonight that focusses on the evil that comics do. They’ve been running the report below since the weekend, and it looks to be typical Fox fare.
With one expert calling comics “fictionalised Playboy”, the trailer for this Fox 5 report on how modern day comics are destroying our childresn seems to concentrate mostly on the new Catwoman series from DC Comics, with a brief glimpse at Fear Itself at the end (to be fair and balanced, I presume).
Catwoman, specifically the first issue, has come under considerable criticism for its sex scenes but subsequent issues have portrayed a relatively sophisticated crime noir thriller, rapidly becoming one of my favourite of the New 52 titles. It’s also a T+ comic, intended for 16 year olds and over, and the trailer doesn’t actually show any kids reading it. The one kid in the store is reading Fear Itself as the “corrupt your kids” voiceover crashes in.
Something tells me this is isn’t going to end well. Tonight, 11pm.
Voiceover: TODAY’S NEW COMIC BOOKS WOULD MAKE ARCHIE AND VERONICA BLUSH!! “It’s sort of like a fictionalized playboy for kids.” WONDERING WHAT SELLS NOWADAYS?? “Sex sells.” BLOOD…SEX…AND VIOLENCE??!! “A much more R-rated comic book.” HOW TO K.O. THESE COMICS BEFORE THEY CORRUPT YOUR KIDS! WEDNESDAY ON FOX FIVE NEWS AT 11!
Here, for comparison, is January Jones, playing Emma Frost in the X-Men First Class movie from Fox, that kids can see without parental prmission, in which Wolverine says the word “fuck”.
- DC Walmart Giant Sized-Comics Make it to the UK – for Only Twice the Cover Price - August 19, 2018
- Bleeding Cool Bestseller List, 19th August 2018 – ‘We’ve Been Seeing More and More Batman Attrition’ - August 19, 2018
- Lying In The Gutters, 19th August 2018 – Looking at the Moon - August 19, 2018
- Exclusive Funko POP of Lord Drakkon in Comic Stores in January - August 18, 2018
- Venom Finally Looks Like His Chest Symbol - August 18, 2018