…is called Gotham.
Ho ho ho.
I was asked why DC Entertainment were registering the trademark for such a logo well before announcement. Well, I’d never try to read the mind of such an organisation, that way lies madness, but I was reminded of an incident that took place back in 2008, and that I reported on for Lying In The Gutters for Comic Book Resources.
There’s a Californian company known as DC Shoes, making skateboarding fashion gear. This is their logo.
Not too long ago, DC Comics decided to sue them for trademark breach of their own logo…
…as DC Comics also make and license clothing.
However, DC Shoes’ lawyers looked into DC Comic’s trademarks and discovered that, despite the fuss when their new logo was launched, they’d never actually got around to trademarking it properly.
In fact, DC Shoes discovered they had a case of trademark infringement against DC Comics.
So Warner Bros had to pay a significant sum to continue using the DC Comics logo.
It looks like a) Warner Bros doesn’t want to pay that anymore and b) they’re not taking any chances this time.
Here’s El Gostro’s version from earlier last year…
- Godshaper By Si Spurrier And Jonas Goonface – The Shape Of Comics To Come? - January 20, 2017
- Cullen Bunn Unleashes Another Monster, Regression With Danny Luckert For Image Comics - January 20, 2017
- Will Rosado Joins Catalyst Prime’s Free Comic Book Day - January 20, 2017
- Plague Of Locusts, Frogs Fall From Sky And Witchblade Returns As A TV Series Again - January 20, 2017
- Don’t Fear Kim Reaper…. Supernatural Romance Leads Oni Press’ Solicits For April 2017 - January 20, 2017