…is called Gotham.
Ho ho ho.
I was asked why DC Entertainment were registering the trademark for such a logo well before announcement. Well, I’d never try to read the mind of such an organisation, that way lies madness, but I was reminded of an incident that took place back in 2008, and that I reported on for Lying In The Gutters for Comic Book Resources.
There’s a Californian company known as DC Shoes, making skateboarding fashion gear. This is their logo.
Not too long ago, DC Comics decided to sue them for trademark breach of their own logo…
…as DC Comics also make and license clothing.
However, DC Shoes’ lawyers looked into DC Comic’s trademarks and discovered that, despite the fuss when their new logo was launched, they’d never actually got around to trademarking it properly.
In fact, DC Shoes discovered they had a case of trademark infringement against DC Comics.
So Warner Bros had to pay a significant sum to continue using the DC Comics logo.
It looks like a) Warner Bros doesn’t want to pay that anymore and b) they’re not taking any chances this time.
Here’s El Gostro’s version from earlier last year…
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who: On Thin Ice – From Black Jesus To Punching Nazis - April 29, 2017
- Comic Creators At Ru Paul’s Drag Con, In Los Angeles This Weekend - April 29, 2017
- Separated At Birth – Moonstruck And Brave Chef Brianna? - April 29, 2017
- No, Calgary, Wonder Woman Isn’t Published By Marvel Comics… - April 29, 2017
- George Pérez Not At East Coast Comic Con Today, Amid Health Concerns - April 29, 2017