At the Awesome Arizona Comic Con, Scott Lobdell and Rob Liefeld took to the stage for a rather entertaining hour (with a special guest star in Robert Kirkman in the end). I recommend you watch the whole of it but there are a few highlights worth mentioning. Thanks to Comic Book Therapy for the video.
Scott Lobdell was going to write Youngblood as part of the Extreme Relaunch, and DC wouldn’t let him write Teen Titans and Youngblood. So Scott introduced Rob Liefeld to John McLaughlin who had co-written Black Swan…
Rob Liefeld has suggested to Jim Lee a Justice League issue in which allocates four of five pages to different creators featuring separate character teams like the old days to spotlight big name artists. And he’d like a few pages.
Expect a two part space adventure in Red Hood And The Outlaws, with Starfire in command in space with the other playing second fiddle. Scott Lobdell wants to end the story with the crew finding a space dog and making Krypto part of Outlaws. But it won’t happen. But Tim Drake will appear in Red Hood And The Outlaws in issue 8.
Rob Liefeld also talked about how he got involved in Deadpool Corps.
Phone rings it’s Axel Alonso. “Hey. Want to put you on Deadpool Corps, what do you think? Kid Deadpool, Lady Deadpool, Deadpool” and in my mind I’m like a “bunch of kickass ninjas, like storming the jungles taking out Hydra? I’m in! That’s killer!””
And then I get the plot and they’re in a spaceship that looks like Deadpool and I go oh my gosh what have I agreed to? But I agreed to it, so I drew nine issues and did my best. But the entire time I’m like, this is ridiculous they’re in a cantina on some Tattooine. Do I believe my vision of it would have been more commercial and well received? I do. I’m bold enough to say yes. But I signed on, not as a writer but as an artist, I’m a good soldier I did my work, I’m proud of those pages.
And when he offered it to me, I didn’t know there would be five more Deadpool books at the time.
And then there was the moment when an X-Men producer said to Rob Liefeld “Gambit is the important character in the Wolverine movie, not Deadpool.” And… some news that I think I’ll have to pass over to the movie side of Bleeding Cool...
- The Fate Of Kieron Gillen And Jamie McKelvie In Skottie Young’s I Hate Image Comics For Free Comic Book Day (SPOILERS) - April 28, 2017
- As Marvel Sends Outs Corrected Printing Of Secret Empire #0, #6 Increases In Size - April 28, 2017
- James Cameron’s Avatar Comic For Free Comic Book Day Shows You What Happened After Jake Jumped Toruk Makto - April 28, 2017
- Marvel Bumps Up Their “True Believers” $1 Spider-Man Reprints Ahead Of Spider-Man Homecoming - April 28, 2017
- How Tasha Yar Returns To Star Trek: The Next Generation In The Mirror Universe For Free Comic Book Day - April 28, 2017