Rian Johnson has posted a new image to the Looper tumblr to mark the New Year. Happy New Year, Rian.
This “iron monstrosity with a hatch”, described on the page as being like “an iron coffin” is the time machine from the film. To put the role of a time machine in context, here’s how Jonson explained the film’s plotline:
Looper is a time travel movie, set in a near future where time travel doesn’t exist but will be invented in a few decades. It’s pretty dark in tone, much different from [The Brothers] Bloom, and involves a group of killers (called Loopers) who work for a crime syndicate in the future.
Their bosses send their targets hogtied and blindfolded back in time to the Loopers, and their job is to simply shoot them in the head and dispose of the body. So the target vanishes from the future and the Loopers dispose of a corpse that doesn’t technically exist, a very clean system.
Complications set in from there.
So, as you can tell from the existence of the prop time machine some scenes in the picture take place those “few decades” later.
Looper stars Joseph Gordon Levitt and Bruce Willis and younger and older versions of the same character, with other key roles for Paul Dano and Emily Blunt. Both the screenplay and a test-screened version of the film have been very well received, and we can look forward to seeing it in US cinemas come September 28th.
Now… as regards the deja vu, here’s a clip of the last time machine I saw anybody stuff Bruce Willis into:
Less of the iron, but a lot of other similarities. This won’t have been an accident.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014