It was a terribly engaging theory, that Superman was intended to have been replaced by a Sand creature back in 1988, as a possible get out to the Lois And Clark wedding. And only revealed when the annual in question was finaly printed many years later. Compiled by DB Hughes it was one of the most read articles on Bleeding Cool of the week.
Sadly, it wasn’t true.
Initially artist and writer of the story, Walt Simonson, told Bleeding Cool;
“All I can really say about this matter is that nothing I could say would be as interesting as the article.”
Which was fairly non-commital. Jerry Ordway, writer on Superman titles at the time was a lot clearer. He tweeted;
Think this is fun fan speculation, but not true at all.
Time to add it to the Hooded Justice/Captain Metropolis/Watchmen list…
- Is This Our June Wedding Then? (Spoilers for Today’s Marvel Comics) - January 17, 2018
- Richard Corben, Emmanuel Guibert and Chris Ware Nominated for the Angoulême Grand Prix 2018 - January 17, 2018
- When Luke Skywalker Learnt About Rogue One in Marvel’s Star Wars - January 17, 2018
- Justice League #37 Makes DC Comics Fans the Enemy (SPOILERS) - January 17, 2018
- You’ll Believe Avengers Can Retcon – Avengers #676 and Champions #16 Spoilers - January 17, 2018