It was a terribly engaging theory, that Superman was intended to have been replaced by a Sand creature back in 1988, as a possible get out to the Lois And Clark wedding. And only revealed when the annual in question was finaly printed many years later. Compiled by DB Hughes it was one of the most read articles on Bleeding Cool of the week.
Sadly, it wasn’t true.
Initially artist and writer of the story, Walt Simonson, told Bleeding Cool;
“All I can really say about this matter is that nothing I could say would be as interesting as the article.”
Which was fairly non-commital. Jerry Ordway, writer on Superman titles at the time was a lot clearer. He tweeted;
Think this is fun fan speculation, but not true at all.
Time to add it to the Hooded Justice/Captain Metropolis/Watchmen list…
- Diamond Says X-O Manowar #1 Was 10th Bestselling Comic In March, Not 12th As Previously Reported - July 24, 2017
- Marvel Comics To Publish Sampler Volume For Star Wars Reads Day In October - July 24, 2017
- Zack Kaplan And Andrea Mutti’s New Comic ‘Port Of Earth’ Coming From Image Comics In November - July 24, 2017
- DC Comics To Run TV Ads For ‘Dark Knight III: The Master Race’ Collection For The Holidays - July 24, 2017
- Details On How Harley Quinn Will Take Over Batman Day In September - July 24, 2017