I’d never heard of former NASA pilot Charles Justiz or his novel Specific Impulse but digging around, I’ve picked up a lot of bits and pieces and he’s certainly come up with something covered in sci-fi hooks.
There’s a sentient computer, or “machine intelligence” as Justiz seems to have called it; gangs of Vegas mobsters; near Earth objects that are more than they seem to be; and a crack assassin.
Add to this, a strange explosion that kills everybody in its radius but the two protagonists, who then start manifesting supersensory powers.
You can get a better idea, maybe, from this book trailer:
Enough concepts for a TV series, by the sounds of things, but it appears that Justiz squeezed them all into one novel and now, they’re going to be translated into one film.
Screen Daily report that the screenwriter on the picture is going to be Kevin VanHook, creator of the Bloodshot comics (and according to rumours, those were going to become a film too, courtesy of Matthew Vaughn… but that buzz has faded away, now).
VanHook says he’s keen on this project as:
It gives me the opportunity to play with a couple of concepts that have always fascinated me: machine intelligence and space exploration.
And that other truck full of concepts that he’s apparently less fascinated by.
The producers are apparently looking to get the film in release during the last quarter of next year, which sounds like an absurdly impractical ambition to me. Perhaps we’re looking at something quite low on budget and schedule, something tight and tidy.
- Images From Ridley Scott’s New Biblical Epic, Exodus, With Christian Bale And Sigourney Weaver - July 1, 2014
- James Cameron Goes To The Bottom Of The Ocean In Trailer For Deepsea Challenge 3D - July 1, 2014
- London Getting The Guardians Of The Galaxy IMAX Preview Next Tuesday - July 1, 2014
- Footage From Studio Ghibli’s New Feature, When Marnie Was There - July 1, 2014
- Where The Avengers: Age Of Ultron Leaves The Hulk For Future Movies - July 1, 2014