The new episode of Misfits aired tonight, the seventh of the third series. And all sorts of things head up a notch as plot lines collide and conclude. In any other show this would be the final episode. It is not. So let’s revisit what wet down…
1. “Let’s Go Resurrect My Dead Girlfriend”
There are some lines that can only ever work in Misfits. They define the plot but also define the very show itself. See last week’s “let’s go rescue my cock.” Clear, precise, it’s a tone that recognises the ridiculousness of the situation but rolls with it, because what else are you gong to do?
2. Mr Miggles Of The Dead.
It’s good to know the exact worth of a cat’s life. More than a Victoria Sponge cake, less than a cake tin. As ever with Curtis, good deeds are not rewarded, they are punished with ever increasing shittiness.
3. Lick It, You Zombie.
It’s a British zombie show/film/thing, there has to be a Cornetto. Them’s the rules. Just ask Edgar Wright
4. The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Sledge Hammer Wielder.
See, this is it right here. Possibly some of the finest writers. A team tooled up with bats. And the comic relief in amongst the comic relief, dragging a sledgehammer he can’t wield. Rudy is the classic all mouth, no trousers, but his patheticness is admirable, in that it doesn’t get in the way of his confidence. When he is all there, that is. Say, couldn’t two Rudys carry a sledgehammer with greater ease?
5. I’m Going To Get You A Puppy.
What a romantic gesture. Buying your girlfriend a puppy. For her to feed on, to suck its brains out. At least she’s a tidy, house proud zombie. Doesn’t like a mess, so it could be worse. Seriously, there are some partners who are far more high maintenance than this.
6. Give Us A Zed, Give Us An Oh, Give Us An Emm..
Yes, its true. The Cheerleaders that suddenly turn up practicing in the community centre are a little out of the ordinary, even for Misfits. But remember, this isn’t just cheerleaders on a South London estate, these are Cheerleaders in a zombie movie. Yeah, what exactly usually happens to such in this kind of thing. The source is a little unusual though.
This also has to be a direct reference to Heroes and its “Save The Cheerleader, Save The World” meme, by completely twisting it. Kill the cheerleader, all the cheerleaders, possibly save the world, maybe.
7. That Was Quick, Even For A Probation Officer
If their most recent probation officer set a record for staying alive longer than the rest, this new Probation Officer set a really new record. And they are quite aware of it as well. This show doesn’t so much have its tongue in its cheek but sticks it through a piercing.
8. The Worst Superheroes In The World
So they caused the deaths of all these people, but at least they manage to mop up and save the world. Except they don’t. These are the worst supreheroes ever, and we wouldn’t have them any other way.
9. This Week Everybody Dies, Next Week…
… Everybody Lives! It has been a bit of a theme hasn’t it? The girlfriend brought back to life. The Nazi episode bringing back the Artist and the Ice Woman. And next week… everyone!
- Godshaper By Si Spurrier And Jonas Goonface – The Shape Of Comics To Come? - January 20, 2017
- Cullen Bunn Unleashes Another Monster, Regression With Danny Luckert For Image Comics - January 20, 2017
- Will Rosado Joins Catalyst Prime’s Free Comic Book Day - January 20, 2017
- Plague Of Locusts, Frogs Fall From Sky And Witchblade Returns As A TV Series Again - January 20, 2017
- Don’t Fear Kim Reaper…. Supernatural Romance Leads Oni Press’ Solicits For April 2017 - January 20, 2017