A number of us older types grew up reading American comics with a running commentary from cartoonist Fred Hembeck. Whether appearing in the trade press or the comics themselves (my favourite was the Fantastic Four Roast that Marvel published), Fred Hembeck specialised in a pun-heavy, continuity-heavy, knock knee-heavy approach that enriched the comics, made them part of a wider fanbase and drew me in to the various characters and storylines very successfully.
And now he’s back. Not at Marvel or DC you understand, they’re far too cool for kneecap curlicules these days – but for IDW.
Beginning with February’s books, Fred Hembeck will contribute a gag strip Ba, Hembeck! set in the worlds of GI Joe, Godzilla, Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles and more.
Hey, does that mean… Fred Hembeck will be drawing Doctor Who?
And for a taster, here’s a drawing currently on eBay by Fred Hembeck featuring the FF facing off against every one of their foes up through issue 36…
- No One Told JH Williams III That Promethea Was Joining the Justice League - January 18, 2018
- Cult Classic: Return to Whisper #1 from Vault Comics Gets a Surprise FOC - January 18, 2018
- Marvel Comics Created Variant of Doctor Strange: Damnation to Be More Bible-Belt-Friendly - January 18, 2018
- BLACK Gets a New Series in April as BLACK [AF] Widows - January 18, 2018
- DC Comics Fixes Justice League International Omnibus Problems (Some Of Them) With Stealth Second Printing - January 18, 2018