A number of us older types grew up reading American comics with a running commentary from cartoonist Fred Hembeck. Whether appearing in the trade press or the comics themselves (my favourite was the Fantastic Four Roast that Marvel published), Fred Hembeck specialised in a pun-heavy, continuity-heavy, knock knee-heavy approach that enriched the comics, made them part of a wider fanbase and drew me in to the various characters and storylines very successfully.
And now he’s back. Not at Marvel or DC you understand, they’re far too cool for kneecap curlicules these days – but for IDW.
Beginning with February’s books, Fred Hembeck will contribute a gag strip Ba, Hembeck! set in the worlds of GI Joe, Godzilla, Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles and more.
Hey, does that mean… Fred Hembeck will be drawing Doctor Who?
And for a taster, here’s a drawing currently on eBay by Fred Hembeck featuring the FF facing off against every one of their foes up through issue 36…
- Entering The Spill Zone With Scott Westerfeld Ahead Of Free Comic Book Day - April 29, 2017
- Ten Thoughts About Doctor Who: On Thin Ice – From Black Jesus To Punching Nazis - April 29, 2017
- Comic Creators At Ru Paul’s Drag Con, In Los Angeles This Weekend - April 29, 2017
- Separated At Birth – Moonstruck And Brave Chef Brianna? - April 29, 2017
- No, Calgary, Wonder Woman Isn’t Published By Marvel Comics… - April 29, 2017