A number of us older types grew up reading American comics with a running commentary from cartoonist Fred Hembeck. Whether appearing in the trade press or the comics themselves (my favourite was the Fantastic Four Roast that Marvel published), Fred Hembeck specialised in a pun-heavy, continuity-heavy, knock knee-heavy approach that enriched the comics, made them part of a wider fanbase and drew me in to the various characters and storylines very successfully.
And now he’s back. Not at Marvel or DC you understand, they’re far too cool for kneecap curlicules these days – but for IDW.
Beginning with February’s books, Fred Hembeck will contribute a gag strip Ba, Hembeck! set in the worlds of GI Joe, Godzilla, Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles and more.
Hey, does that mean… Fred Hembeck will be drawing Doctor Who?
And for a taster, here’s a drawing currently on eBay by Fred Hembeck featuring the FF facing off against every one of their foes up through issue 36…
- An Hour With Adam Savage - July 23, 2017
- The DC Masterclass Panel Welcomes Latecomers, From Dan DiDio To Greg Capullo To Frank Miller - July 22, 2017
- Marvel’s Hasbro Panel At San Diego Comic-Con In 85 Photos - July 22, 2017
- New Thor: Ragnarok Poster Released To Dazzle The Senses - July 22, 2017
- Miracleman Is Coming. Just Not Yet. Wait. - July 22, 2017