A number of us older types grew up reading American comics with a running commentary from cartoonist Fred Hembeck. Whether appearing in the trade press or the comics themselves (my favourite was the Fantastic Four Roast that Marvel published), Fred Hembeck specialised in a pun-heavy, continuity-heavy, knock knee-heavy approach that enriched the comics, made them part of a wider fanbase and drew me in to the various characters and storylines very successfully.
And now he’s back. Not at Marvel or DC you understand, they’re far too cool for kneecap curlicules these days – but for IDW.
Beginning with February’s books, Fred Hembeck will contribute a gag strip Ba, Hembeck! set in the worlds of GI Joe, Godzilla, Teenage Ninja Mutant Turtles and more.
Hey, does that mean… Fred Hembeck will be drawing Doctor Who?
And for a taster, here’s a drawing currently on eBay by Fred Hembeck featuring the FF facing off against every one of their foes up through issue 36…
- The Small Town Barbeque Vampires Of “Redneck” By Donny Cates, Lisandro Estherren And Dee Cunniffe From Image/Skybound In April - January 23, 2017
- Topps To Publish A Trump-Based Garbage Pail Kids Comic – Donald Dump! - January 23, 2017
- What Will Happen To Task Force X After Justice League Vs Suicide Squad? Just Ask Grant Morrison (SPOILERS) - January 23, 2017
- Speculator Corner: Star Wars #49 – The Last Jedi – From Marvel Comics - January 23, 2017
- Scott Lobdell Writes Aspen’s Crossover Series, No World, Debuting In April 2017 - January 23, 2017